68

She was falling. Always falling. She was life and death and life and shadow. She was everything and nothing. She could see the past, the present and the future. She had no body here. She was falling backwards through time. Through her memories. They played out around her. All she could do was watch.

She was looking down at a beach near the Forest House. It was a few weeks before she went to Earth. Her entire Court was there, most of them sitting on the sand of the cove. Nikki and Hathy cooked on a barbecue nearby. She saw herself in the water. Jay and Leo grasped her shoulders and pushed her under. Even from this far above, she could hear her laughter as she resurfaced.

The image blurred around her and she was falling again. She watched herself hunching over a body. Her daughter's body. This was the day Hathor died almost two hundred years ago. A flash of light and her daughter sat up. She wrapped her arms around her mother. The image blurred again.

This time, she was standing atop a hill with Leo at her side. They held hands as they watched something in the distance. This was the day the Ancient Roman Empire of an Earth fell. Leo had wanted to watch. He'd grown up there before becoming immortal and wanted to be there when it ended. She hadn't been able to say no.

Another shift, another memory. She was driving a hover car, swerving left and right as she avoiding blows from military cannons. Nikki was in her sabre form, her claws the only thing stopping her from falling off the roof of the car. Leo was in the passenger seat, an RPG launcher hefted over a shoulder as he leaned out the window, yelling something about her needing to straighten up for his shot.

Then she was about Ilsbrook. Her power flared as she moved through the city. All who stood in her path were killed with her sword, her power. It didn't matter who. The men, the woman, the children. She let none escape. When she was done, her power exploded around her. Windows shatters and buildings fell. She knew the city would be left in ruins. No one would ever return there.

The ruined city became a night-time desert. A city. A palace. And there, on the balcony, she danced under the starlight with her husband. She could see their grins on their faces as he twirled her. This was the day he discovered her pregnancy. Gods, how he'd become even more overbearing than usual after that. The thought made her smile. Or would have. The only body she had was the one she looked down upon.

The image shifted if only slightly. Night became day but the old city remained. Then she was in the throne room. That was her biological father seated on the golden throne. Her brother stood by his side, ever the Crown Prince, and she was – ah! Those were the guards dragging her from that damned cell her father put her in. Again. Was this before or after the time she tried to kill him? Before she could remember, the memory passed as fast as it came.

She expected the next to bring her to that basement, or that day she was forced to Lyriumia, but it was neither of those. It wasn't even one of her memories. It was much further back. She only knew what it was from those few history classes she paid attention to.

This was a day from millions and millions of years ago. Her ancestor—the woman she was named after—was attacking a city. The first Photon Queen was raging, chasing a golden-haired woman. The woman fell. The First Queen struck—

Only to be intercepted by the first Dark King. He protected the woman who ran to Crita's Castle.

And the she was falling through the past again. It was no longer her past. It was the power of Time herself. Universes exploded around her. The creation and destruction was a blur of fire, much like the explosion she caused in Erostah. How long ago was that? Minutes were hours were years were decades were eons. Time meant nothing as she fell.

Then, it stopped.

Everything stopped.

She no longer fell.

There was nothing here. No one. Only an endless darkness in every direction. There was no light, no stars, no universes, no life. No nothing.

This was the darkness where everything begun. She was in a place that no longer existed. A place before places. A place before time.

This was the place of Creation.