38

Without a second thought, Colt aimed his hoverbike directly toward Kek. He could hear Leo behind, yelling something over the wind about how if he did what he was thinking of doing, it would end badly. Colt didn't care. Yes, the safety of the items was a priority, but he finally had the opportunity to confront the man who was not only responsible for his own death, but that of his wife.

Colt revved his bike, increasing the speed. The noise caught Kek's attention. The Terpolite man grinned and, with a flash of dark blue light, destroyed the bike. Colt jumped clear a second before the explosion, the shockwave knocking him off would have been a more-or-less perfect landing.

Leo pulled his surviving bike to rest beside him and, with a frown, pulled Colt to his feet. "You and Amneris are very alike when you get pissed. And by that I mean reckless."

"I am not mad," Colt snapped.

"Sure you're not." Leo surveyed the area. "Where did Kek go?"

Colt pointed ahead. "There!"

Kek was making a run for one of the buildings. Colt took off after him. Leo groaned, yelling something in Latin before giving chase. Whatever he'd said, Colt doubted it was very nice. The General whacked the back of his partner's head as he passed. That answered the question. Colt growled, pushing himself to move faster in his new body.

* * * * * * * *

Kek had breached the building's security when they caught up. The bodies of fallen warriors dressed in the Lyriumian hallways. Colt ran past them without a second glance, his focus on Kek. Leo, however, did stop. Colt thought little of it. He'd found Kek, the sound of fighting up ahead.

The room he entered, Colt realised, was the room Leo placed the items. How Kek had known exactly where to go, he did not know but wanted to find out. If they had a spy among them, that would be a bigger problem than the threat of the Dark King's return. Not to mention blame would likely be placed on him. Or perhaps the newcomer, Ema, would take the fall.

Leo appeared at his side, panting slightly.

Kek noticed the men and laughed. "The Prince and the General. I am honoured." He sketched a mocking bow. "But neither of you can stop me. You don't have the power."

"Perhaps not," a female voice said, "but I do."

Amneris stood in the doorway with a dark smile. She sashayed forward. "Long time no see."

"Agreed," Kek said. "For a moment, I thought we would miss our usual dance." His face morphed into mock-sweetness. "I know what toll attacking a city on your world takes on your mind and form."

Amneris raised an eyebrow. "You underestimate the abilities of my Healers. They are quite talented."

Kek only shook his head. "Good thing I have a plan to take you down. Remember, I know all your weaknesses, baby girl. I can stop you like that." He snapped his fingers.

Amneris snorted. "I'd like to see you try."

To the surprise of everyone, it was Leo who burst into action at her words.

Colt watched in awe, the movements of both Leo and Kek so fast his eyes, now untrained, struggled to make sense of the blurred motions. He focused his mind on the battle before him, time seeming to slow down as the blurred motions became clear.

It was obvious Leo could hold his own in battle. However, it was also obvious Kek had the advantage of age and experience, having had an extra thousand years of training on top of that of the General.

Before Colt could even consider stepping in to help, Leo was knocked to the side harshly by one of Kek's punches. He sagged to the floor.

Amneris raised her hand to her head. "Idiot."