43

While Colt and Hathor walked back to the Forest House, Amneris found herself staring thoughtfully at the unconscious Kek laying at her feet. Maybe she'd been too hard on him. Kek could take a lot but he was still mortal.

Amneris looked between him and Leo, raising an eyebrow at her General. Leo sighed, hefting the Terpolite into the wooden chair at the centre of the room. After Amneris gave him yet another look, Leo tied their "guest" at the hands, waist and feet.

Amneris knelt in front of Kek, poking his head. He was out cold. This was no good. She'd never get any information from him like this.

Standing, she grabbed a glass of water from a nearby table and threw it in his face. "Wake up!"

Kek's head lulled. His words slurred. "NomummyIdontwannagotoschooltoday . . ."

Amneris pinched the bridge of her nose. "Dan hit him too hard, you threw him to the ground and I electrocuted him. Maybe he's had more than he can take this time."

Leo observed the bleeding wound on his head. "I'm surprised he's not dead with this level of blood loss."

"FUCK OFF!'

Amneris jumped back at the outburst, falling on top of Leo who caught and pushed her back to her feet. "Maybe you should heal him?" he asked.

"Do I have to?"

Leo glared.

"Ugh. Fine."

With a snap of her fingers, all the damage done to Kek vanished. His eyes short open and he shot forward, the motion causing the chair to lose balance. The fell onto his face.

Amneris facepalmed at the sight. "I think I missed a bit."

Kek shifted to lock eyes with her. He growled angrily, himself and the chair being pulled back upright by Leo.

Amneris gave him a small wave and mock-sweet smile. "Sleep well, Kek?" He spat at her feet. "Well, that was rude."

"If you wanted to talk, you could've just called, baby girl."

Amneris kicked him in the face. Kek's head snapped back. He laughed despite the broken, bleeding nose.

"So feisty today," Kek grinned. "Aren't I allowed to call you that anymore?"

"No. No you are not." Amneris held out a hand, and a knife flew into her hand. "Leave."

Leo placed a hand on her shoulder. "Amns, you know what happens when you—"

"Leave."

Taken back, Leo left reluctantly. He gave her a final worried glace before closing the door behind him.

"Trouble in paradise?"

Amneris whirled on Kek, throwing the knife into his thigh. "If you're gonna talk, tell me about the plan."

"What plan?" he gasped.

"Tara's plan. Your plan. Enliatu's plan. Whatever." Amneris sat on the table. "I know Tara isn't smart enough to come up with this thing on her own. So, details. Give."

"I have no idea what you're—aaaarrrrggghhhh!"

"Don't play dumb," Amneris said, fingering another knife. "You know exactly what I'm talking about and I know you're in on it."

"How?"

"Because you're always in on it." She held the knife up. "Shall we try this again?"

"I am not in on Tara's plan."

She slammed the knife through his shoulder. Ignoring his cry of pain, she continued. "Oh, please. You're always part of a plan that involves my possible destruction. It's your thing." Amneris turned suddenly. "Oh, please tell me this isn't one of your plans to try and get the Eternal Core's power." At his shocked face she said, "It's never gonna work."

"No way to know unless I try," he said through gritted teeth.

Amneris sighed. "Well, at least this explains why you want Enliatu to come back. You need both Cores. Thought there is one thing you didn't think of."

"What?" Kek demanded.

Amneris picked up another knife and moved to sit on Kek's lap. "Look, Enliatu is nuts. And coming from me, that's saying something. He'll kill you the first chance he gets and won't let you have any of his power. Trying to take it will just give him another reason to kill you."

"Your point?"

She shrugged. "You can't kill him but I can. So, you can either help me stop him or you can spend all time in the Prison and deal with my people getting information from you at any opportunity. Though I know even that won't get you to tell me what I want."

Amneris dragged the flat of the blade down his chest until it rested against his crotch. Kek visibly balanced. Amneris only smiled. "I know you only have a little dignity, but I know how much it matters to you." The smile widened. "So, about Tara's plan."