21

Kayla hadn't noticed how tired she was until she fainted.

She had been tending to some of the Lapide locals injured in the storm when her vision went black and spotty. She later found herself laying on one of the free beds. A hand brushed strands of her curly tortilla hair off her face. She noticed Jay's smirking face above her.

"This is what happens when you work yourself too hard," he said.

She hit his hand away, sitting herself upright. Her head spun momentarily, passing a moment later. "I haven't been working too hard."

All Jay said was "Hospital bed."

Kayla felt her face flush as she fidgeted with the thin blanket over her legs. She hadn't thought she was working too hard. She'd been using her power to help those who were injured in the storm. She was a Healer. It was her job to help people. Still . . . "Maybe I have been using more power than I thought."

The bed shifted as Jay sat beside her. One hand clasped her waist as the other lifted her chin so he could kiss her. "You need to remember to sleep, baby. Rest is important."

"I know. I just . . . There's so much to do. The city needs rebuilding, the people who were hurt need healing, soldiers and warriors also need healing after their ongoing training, herbs need to be picked for teas, ointments, and other remedies." She didn't notice she was scratching her arms until Jay grasped her hands, using his own power to heal the green cuts. "There's just so much to do."

"You've got to look after yourself as well."

"I know." Jay gave her a soft smile. Kayla felt her spirits rise a little.

"I was told to come get you. Ema is awake. Nik wants everyone there. If you're feeling up to it, that is."

She wasn't feeling up to it. She was far from feeling up to it. But if Nikki had asked for everyone to be there, then it was important.

Kayla pushed the blanket off herself and swung her legs off the bed. Jay helped her stand. His concern was obvious, but he said nothing.

* * * * * * * *

Ema was sitting upright in her bed for the first time since arriving on Lyriumia. Her head had been bandaged by one of the other Healers working the current shifted. Kayla decided they did a good job at it. The smell of herbs in the air caught Jay off-guard. He begun sneezing immediately before complaining. Leo told him to sit down.

"All right," Nikki said. "Long story short, this lady has decided to join us."

All eyes went to Ema. She took a deep breath before facing the Court. "I refuse to go back somewhere I will be left behind. Festus was supposed to be my partner, but he tried to kill me, and we were on the same side." Her silver eyes flicked between Jay and Kayla. "I would have let you go without a fight if you just gave me the item. And if Festus hadn't interfered."

The room was silent as Carmin stood and took Ema's hand. Kayla watched closely. Carmin would know if Ema was telling the truth. The thought made her headache start up again. Kayla took a deep breath. She had to hold on just a little bit longer.

"She's clean," was all Carmin said. It was enough to make the room relax, even if only a little.

Dan was the one to voice what they all were thinking. "What should we do with her?"

Silence.

"I'll keep an eye on her."

Kayla turned to Jay. "No, you can't–"

"You trust me, Kay?"

"Of course."

"That's my girl." He pressed a kiss to her brow before grasping her hand firmly and addressing the group. "Kayla needs to rest. You can keep an eye on Ema until I get this one to her bed." Without any further explanation, Jay pulled from the hospital wing, down the hall, up the stairs, all the way to her room in the Palace.

By the time they reached the door, Kayla thought she would collapse again. Jay hefted her in his arms, carrying her to the bed. He made sure the pale green pillow was fluffed before pulling the matching sea-patterned blanket over her.

Kayla closed her eyes to rest her head, though quickly opened them when she felt something warm behind her. Jay's arms wrapped around her and he pulled her back against him. Kayla allowed herself to relax for what must have been the first time in days.

"Thought you were going to keep an eye on that Fae?"

She felt him smirk against her neck. "Jealous?"

"What?" She pulled the blanket closer. "Why would I be jealous?"

"Because of the other girl."

"I'm not jealous."

"If you say so."

Kayla rolled over to look at him. "Can you stay until I fall asleep?" she asked softly, unable to hide the nervousness in her voice at the thought of him saying no.

"Of course I will."

Kayla only smiled at those words.