18

Colt ran through the sands. The shadow was still following. With each step, it was coming closer. He didn't know what it was, but he knew it was bad. He didn't know how he knew. He just dead. A glance over his shoulder told him the shadow – whatever it was – had decided to change its game. Instead of coming closer, it stayed the same distance behind him. Taunting him.

Looking forward once again, Colt skidded to a stop. He fell fast first to the sand, the momentum from his speed vanishing too fast. Coughing as he stood, he stared at what stopped him. A door. A door in the middle of the desert. There was nothing on either side or behind it, he quickly discovered. It was just a door. If this was the dreamscape, it certainly was not the one he'd grown up with.

Unable to stop his curiosity, Colt opened the door. On the other side was nothing but darkness. He poked his head around the side, seeing the desert was still behind the door. What kind of weird dreamscape was he on?

A roar from behind.

Colt spun around. He had enough time to think "oh, shit" before the shadow slammed into him, sending him flying through the open door into darkness.

* * * * * * * *

Colt landed on something solid hidden beneath the darkness. He could not see what it was, but there was something there. Pushing himself to his feet, he looked around. He couldn't see anything but himself thanks to the soft glow around his body. Glancing behind, Colt realised the door which he had come trough was gone. Did that mean he was trapped? He sighed, suddenly wishing Tali were with him. She had always pulled him out of trouble, even when they were kids. The thought made his heart ache. She had no idea who he was.

A faint image appeared in the darkness. Colt couldn't tell what it was. He took a step forward. Another. Another. Which each step, the image became cleared. He was almost able to touch it when it became clear enough to see. Safe to say, the image was not what he had been expecting. The woman he'd been thinking about only moments ago was standing before him, glowing against the golden sand she was standing on. Colt reached out. His hand touched a shield of sorts. He couldn't get any closer to her, instead calling out. She heard him, grinning as her eyes met his. She called out his name. His true name.

Colt watched as Amneris ran to him, her hands bracing on the barrier between them. Her smile faltered. He offered one of his own. Her eyes lit up again. Gods, he wanted to hold her like in the old days. He wanted that life back, the one he should have had with her. Whatever part of the Dreamscape he was trapped on, it knew that. It had been too perfect. The second he saw through the illusion, he'd found himself standing in that desert.

A figure appeared behind her. She didn't seem to notice. Colt tapped the barrier and pointed behind her. She glanced back, turning to him with confusion. She couldn't see the figure! It came closer to Amneris. She remained oblivious. As the figure came closer, Colt felt something rise inside him. Something he had not felt in a long time. A deep rage from that day long ago. He knew who the figure was. He could never forget that pale main with the moonlight hair and crimson eyes. The man who had taken his life. Her life.

Amneris didn't see him until the man's arms wrapped around her throat, pulling her from her feet. She struggled against him but couldn't escape. Colt could do nothing but watch, the barrier between them holding no matter how much he beat against it. Amneris whacked her head against the man's face. He dropped her. She rubbed at her throat as she ran through the sand. The man glanced between her a Colt, a dark smile forming when he realised the pair could not touch.

The man dashed after Amneris, sending a wave of darkness toward her. She flipped out of the way. A snap of her fingers had a cyan light flash. The man cried out, rubbing at his eyes. Amneris ran forward, sending a punch into his stomach. She must have supercharged her strength with her powers, Colt realised, for the man went flying. She made to run. This man was clearly too much of a challenge. He had more experience with a Core power. Amneris only had five thousand years.