2

"Would someone please tell me who in their right mind would use that to stop someone from finding some clue to the items?" Carmin exclaimed as Lvaane healed the cut on her hairline.

"Whoever said she was in her right mind?" Leo murmured. What were you thinking, baby sis?

The windspeed had picked up immensely from the cyclone headed towards the city – Amneris' doing no less – as fire rained down onto the buildings and into the ocean. The shields were keeping most of it out, but they were weakening. Every now and then, small flares would slip through newly formed hole. It was enchanted fire, Leo realised. No wonder Carmin was so worried. Her own fire power would be completely useless. He had a feeling that the fire was coming from Tara or one of her lackies but there was no time to find out. There were other matters at hand.

Leo jumped as a hand appeared on his shoulder. Nikki was standing beside him, lime eyes wide at the view before them. The rest of the Court was close behind. All were watching the city.

"So," Jay started, "what are we gonna do about that?"

No jokes? That was strange, especially for Jay.

"We make sure the shields hold." Leo pointed to where the shields flickered, holes forming within them and slowly becoming larger. They were close to vanishing. He could feel it. "We should also evacuate the city, just in case." He turned to Lvaane. "Do you still have that kind of power?"

A sigh.

That was a no. "None of us have that power," Leo muttered more to himself, "not even Hathy." He looked around. "Where is Hathy, for that matter?"

Zoe answered. "She zapped out when Dan came for us. Something about getting help."

Huh.

Nikki spoke next. "Since he has a plan, I say we should put Leo in charge of this one. All in favour?"

Everyone raised a hand.

"Take it away, General," Nikki said with a smile.

Leo glanced towards the storm. He rubbed his hands together has he formed the plan Nikki though he had. "Okay!" He said. "Zoe, you and Lvaane work on the shields. If you need help, get the Senior spellcasters from the Academy. They should still be there."

The two nodded and zapped away.

"Kay, Jay."

The two looked up at their names.

"You're med team. I have a feeling we'll need one for this. It screams hell and some may already be hurt. Kayla, bring your healers. All of them."

When they zapped, that left himself, Carmin, Dan, and Nikki.

"We evacuate the city. Everyone needs to get to the Palace."

Carmin and Dan, with a mighty flap of their wings, took to the sky.

Nikki was about to join them when Leo grabbed her arm. "Before you do, send messages to Ariuma and Iraliya. If things go to shit and the storm passes Lapide, they need to know what happens."

"Makes sense." She kissed his cheek. "See you later."

* * * * * * * *

The fire rain had stopped after it broke through the shields. That had been fifteen minutes ago. Since then rain had been pelting. The good news was that it put out many of the fires which broke out. The bad news was it wasn't helping the shield repair at all.

A glance toward the horizon told Leo it was only going to get worse. The storm had not only built up in power but sucked the beaches dry. Tsunami. Of course, we now have to deal with that. Leo swore under his breath and added it to the list of problems.