10

The cave was far more impressive than Jay expected it to be. He'd thought it would be nothing but rubble and sand. After all, that was how it looked when they were on that cliff. What he most definitely had not expected way a gave filled with a variety of glowing crystals, all a different colour. There were pinks, reds, golds, blues, greens, and whites all embedded into the black stone. The sight was amazing. Jay could help but look around in a wonder-filled daze as he swum.

He was jolted to a violent stop, pulling him from his daze. Tayla and Kayla dragged him back to the beginning of the cavern.

"You must watch where you're going!" Tayla hissed. "Now, follow me closely."

She swum to the roof of the tunnel, running a hand along the mix of stone and crystal as she followed a certain path between them to the entrance of the next cavern. Reaching the other side, she turned and gave the three a wave. Ethan went next, following the path exactly, Kayla close behind him. Muffled voiced from behind made Jay chase after his group.

As the four were about to enter the next tunnel, Ema and Festus appeared. The latter took one look at them, at the empty cavern between them, and swum straight through it with enough speed that Jay was impressed. And concerned. Perhaps they should move.

Ethan and Tayla didn't look concerned at all. They sighed and turned to continue on the path. "What an idiot," Ethan muttered to himself, turning a corner.

Confused, Jay looked back at Festus. The Terpolite was coming closer. Jay instinctively reached for the knife on his belt, preparing himself for a fight–

Festus stopped, a crystal shard whizzing in front of him, barely missing his eyes. It was the first of many. The Terpolite danced around the shards, roaring when one cut through his thigh with the same force of a small bullet.

Jay gaped as Kayla took his hand and pulled him away, Tayla close behind.

"Amns set a lot of traps," the Water-Weaver explained. "We don't know how to get through all of them, but that was one of the earlier ones." She gestured behind them. "There are sensors in the walls. If you take any path but the one we took, that happens. From the pain our friend is in, I doubt any of us are keen to get caught in any other traps."

"But you just said you don't know how to get through all of them," Kayla said, concerned.

Tayla smiled slightly. "Then I guess we have to figure it out as we go."

"We might wanna get a move on!" Ethan called from up ahead.

Jay could see a bright light coming from the cavern they were approaching. "What's that?" he asked.

Tayla's eyes widened. "Oh, crap."

She grabbed Jay and Kayla. Using her power, they were able to move faster. The walls around the three became a blur as they sped through the water with enough force that Jay feared he would lose his grip. Tayla stopped suddenly, and with enough momentum, that Kayla and Jay went flying forward. They crashed into Ethan. The three ended up as a pile on the sand.

"What was that for?" Kayla yelled, shaking sand from her ponytail and dusting it off her tail. "I can swim very fast, thank you very much!"

Tayla huffed. "Well excuse me for wanting to get through the light trap before it could notice us."

Ignoring the argument behind him, Jay swam into the next cavern, and stopped. It was like the first one, covered in glowing crystal and stone. However, these crystals glowed brighter. Where last time he was able to count the colours, these one's he couldn't. There was a pedestal carved from crystal stalagmites in the centre of the cavern. While it was very impressive, there was no doubt about that, he couldn't help but feel disappointed. He was expecting something . . . more.