65

When Carmin and Kek arrived with Tara in tow, Leo knew some serious shit had gone down. And that wasn't just because of the haunted look in the Terpolite woman's eyes as she surveyed the fallen warriors on the field.

It hardly took a genius to tell Carmin had worked her magic, in a manner of speaking. She always had a way with words, a way to make people see the error of their ways. It was one of her many impressive skills.

"I didn't think so many would be affected," she breathed.

Kek laughed. "What, you thought Enliatu would be freed from prison and he would spare everyone but those you hate?"

Before she could answer, Leo held one of his swords at her throat. Tara held her hands up, the sign of surrender. He didn't move. "Call them off," he ordered.

"I can't," Tara said, eyes on the blade.

"Why not?" Carmin asked.

"They don't listen to me!" Tara insisted. "They follow him! They would do anything to make sure he succeeds!"

"Fear can be a strong motivation," Kek said.

Leo kept his focus on Tara. "Try."

The blade still pressed against her skin, Tara closed her eyes. A small ripple of power came from her power. Few soldiers glanced in her direction, gave a nod of acknowledgement, and vanished. Leo assumed they were returning home.

Most ignored the order. The fight continued. Barely a quarter of the Terpolite soldiers had vanished!

Carmin sighed and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Let her go. She can't help us now."

Leo did as he was told. He stood down.

Tara fell to her knees. A man appeared beside her. Liam. He wrapped his arms around her as they knelt in the mud. Where the hell had he come from?

A flash of light from above made Leo look up. Amneris and Enliatu were sending waves of power toward each other. On any other occasion, the blend of cyan and crimson would have been beautiful to watch. This time, there was too much at stake for him to focus on that.

Leo watched as his Queen twirled, sending a wave of white light toward her opponent. Enliatu shot into the sky, the attack barely scorching him, as Amneris dropped to the ground. Colt was at her side in an instant. They spoke quicky before turning toward Leo.

The two ran toward them. Colt stopped a few paces away, hands on his knees as he gasped for breath. Amneris, however, did not stop until she was standing in front of Leo. She looked around at the others, taking in the scene, before turning to him and holding out a hand.

"Give me the items."

* * * * * * * *

Aten galloped toward Amneris, Colt grasping him tight. Somewhere in the back of his mind he was surprised the wai'u hadn't taken flight. The rest of his mind was focused on one thing. That one thing was coming closer with each breath.

His eyes focused on Amneris—on his Tali—as they approached. Even from this distance he could see golden blood trickling down one of her arms from a large gash. Not a good sign.

Enliatu grabbed Amneris and tossed her head-first into a nearby stone with a laugh, she groaned, raising a hand to her head, but making no move the get up.

Colt jumped from Aten's back, the golden wai'u surging forward. Releasing a cry, Aten struck. His claws dug into Enliatu's stomach. The man growled as he stumbled back—

Right into Colt's sword.

Aten struck again with his claws, Colt making his next strike as fast as possible. Enliatu was caught between them with no escape!