~One~

You opened your eyes and looked at your phone. The time read 7am, meaning you had to be at an exam for the recommended students in about an hour. Honestly you didn't want to go. Being a hero didn't feel like something you wanted to do but some of your hero friends put in a bunch of recommendations for you to go since they knew you wouldn't apply. You got up and took a shower and you could hear Aizawa in the kitchen, making breakfast.

He had adopted you when you were 10 after an incident involving you and your father. Aizawa wasn't fond of kids and had no intentions of going home with one when he left for the mission that day. Something about you caught his attention. They way you barely spoke or showed emotion on your face, even as your very own father tried to kill you. Til this day you remained like that. Aizawa would even go as far as to you are grumpy all the time and easy to piss off. 

"Come on you'll do fine." He said as he sat at the table wrapped up in his yellow sleeping bag.

"Do you ever leave that thing?" You sighed.

"No and I never will." You shook your head at his answer and got up from the table.

"I need to get to the exams before I'm late." You said and got up.

"You better give it your all or else I will double your training for the next 3 years!" He called out to you in a stern voice. You just sighed and nodded your head at him before putting on your shoes.

"I'm leaving then I guess." And with that you left the house. 

Going down the stairs you caught a glimpse of your outfit in the window reflection. It wasn't anything special. Just black shorts with a white hoodie. Paired with white socks that went a little over your knees and had two black stripes at the top. You had some white shoes on as well. Your hair fell over your shoulders and reached down to your waist. You stopped and walked closer to your reflection to get a closer look at your face. You could clearly see the scars that covered your right eye and the deep black bags under your eyes. You shrugged it off and went on your short walk to the exams.

As you got there you were greeted by some pro heroes and then you just waited until the exam started. You listened closely to what Present mic had to say.

"Okay listen up students! You will have to get through an obstacle course BUT it's a RACE!" He sounded way to excited for this.

"Whoever gets to the end of the course first passes the exams! We will go six at a time so can the first line stand at the start line!" He said and student did what they were told to do. 

To your left was a tall guy with a buzz cut and to your right was a boy who had half and half hair, his hair was red and white. He was shorter than buzz cut but still quite a bit taller than you.

"You can use your quirks to help aid you in the course but you may not use it on your opponents. Ready! Set! GO!" 

And with that you, buzz cut and half and half were off. Buzz cut used some type of wind quirk while half and half used an ice quirk. You used your shadows the same way ice wizard was using his ice. The three of you were neck and neck with each other but in the end you came first, wind boy second and ice dude third. You were all out of breath but somehow Buzz cut still had enough breath to introduce himself to you.

"Hi I'm Inasa Yorashi! You've got some quirk! I'd love to become friends with you." He said as he gave me a huge smile.

"Mm Y/n Ito." You say with a nod. 

You were still out of breath and your headache only grew thanks to Present Mic's screaming. Inasa then walked over to half n half.

"Good match right? You were awesome out there! I'm Inasa Yorashi, maybe we could become friends?" He asked. The boy looked up at Inasa and rolled his eyes.

"I didn't race to beat you, I raced to pass and I'm not here to make friends." He said and walked off. 

"What's his problem?" Inasa asked himself.

"Don't know but I get what he means but he still didn't need to be so rude." You said as you stood next to him.

"Oh um what do you mean by you understand him?" He asked a bit startled that you answered his question. 

"Well I'm not here to make friends either but I don't mind knowing my future classmates names." You tilted your head.

"Well yeah I guess that's true." He said.

'What a strange boy' you thought

After the exam was over you got home and basically got tackled by Aizawa demanding you to tell him how it went.

"I came first place." You said.

"Good job." He said patting your head and as you left, in the corner of your eye, you could see him smile.

"Now to wait for my letter." You sighed and fell onto your bed, closing your eyes.

You knew there was a reason to why the heroes pushed so hard for you to become a hero. When you met All Might, Best Jeanist, Hawks and Eraser head, it was in the middle of a battle. Your 10 year old self was struggling while keeping up with your father but you never once faltered or showed fear. It was obvious to anyone watching that you would eventually loose and you knew it too and yet you didn't stop. The heroes interjected and Hawks led you away safely. After being treated and questioned, the heroes sat with you for a while, not knowing what to do. You were practically an orphan at this point. You told them of your dead mother and they couldn't send you back to your father. That's when Aizawa offered to take you and the two of you didn't get along. Soon the heroes started training with you to let Aizawa catch a break from you and also so you could manage your powers. There had been instances where you would break out and throw shadows and light everywhere when you got upset. After a year of training, you accidentally ended up on a mission with All Might. The only reason being that you were both in the same place. After helping him, the news went viral with clips of you fighting along side All Might. Hero agencies would reach out to him and ask for your help and somehow it became a little job for you even though it was against the law. The public dubbed you the Hero Helper and gave you the hero name of Nightmare.