ix

april 6, 2015. england.

"i honestly can't believe you talked me into staying up until 3 am to talk to you," harry's sleepy voice comes out through the bluetooth speaker in louis' car.

"hey, it was perfect timing!" louis defends himself. "what better thing to do during a three hour drive than talk to my beautiful, loving husband?"

"you're very lucky i love you," harry tells him. "as soon as you are at your mum's, i'm going to sleep. i'll call you tonight so i can say hi to jay and everyone."

louis puts on his blinker and exits the highway, nearing his childhood home in doncaster. he's going to be spending the night, and liam is coming up to visit tomorrow, before they both head back to london. louis is so excited to see his family for the first time since the tour started, and had the genius idea to get harry to keep him company during the drive. of course, harry pretended to be upset about the late night, but he was thrilled to have the three hours that it took louis to drive from london to donny to talk to his husband.

"they'll love that," louis smiles. "it's going to be weird to visit them without you. it's been a while."

"yeah," harry agrees. "we're going to have to visit my mum and robin too. maybe gemma will even come around. we should make a list of everything we have to do when i get to england."

"of course. we'll do anything you want," louis moment of joy doesn't last long. "i really miss you."

"i miss you too, sunflower," harry replies without missing a beat. "being here without you is like i'm waking up to only half a blue sky. kinda there, but not quite," he quotes.

louis chuckles. "i'm walking around with just one shoe, i'm half a heart without you," he continues. "dork."

"hey, you love me!" harry defends himself. "twelve days. then i'm never letting you go again."

"i'll hold you to that," louis promises. "i'm almost there now, love. you should probably get some sleep. we really pushed your 8:30 bedtime today."

"oh shut up," harry chuckles. "enjoy your time with your family. i love you."

"i love you. promise you'll text when you wake up?" louis asks.

harry nods even though louis can't see him. "of course. i'll talk to you soon."

"okay. i love you."

harry says ones last, "i love you, too," before hanging up the phone. louis spend the last few minutes of his drive in silence, not bothering to turn on the radio, already missing the sound of his husband's sweet voice.

finally, louis pulls up in front of his childhood home, a grin breaking out on his face as soon as he sees his mum sitting outside with the biggest smile on her face.

louis hurries to put his range rover in park and turn off the engine, not even bothering to lock his doors before he runs into jay's arms, letting her hold him like she would when he was a kid. he finds so much comfort from being in his mum's arms, he wishes he could stay like this and have her protect him forever.

"hi, mum," louis says as he finally breaks away from the hug.

"louis, darling," jay joyfully exclaims. "how are you?"

"better now that i'm here," louis answers. "how are you? how are the kids?"

"all eagerly awaiting your arrival," jay grabs louis' hand and leads him inside.

he is instantly hit with the comforting scent of his childhood home. the beige colored walls in the hallway take him back to an easier time. back when he was 18 and only had to be concerned with getting into uni and being at home to help his mum take care of his younger sisters. he was free then. he was able to express himself and didn't have a care in the world. he didn't have to worry about what people thought of him. he got to see his family every day and just had a normal life. there are times where he wishes things were still like that. it would still be like that if he never auditioned for the x factor.