Chapter 28

(Pic of Max^)

Nico's POV:

The ship comes to port, I look out and as far as the eye can see all there is before me are sandy white beaches, lush tropical trees and a clean ocean breeze. Looking down I see people unloading cargo from the ship as crates and items are rolled down to waiting vehicles. I sit back on my bed tucking my legs up against my chest.

Before I know it there's a knock at the door before it opens, Bastian peaks in before letting himself enter the room. "Nico it's time to go, I'll be escorting you on shore, the jeep is waiting." I don't say anything as I stand up and follow him, the sway of the ship is gentle but my stomach is in knots.

What awaits me I don't know and I really don't want to find out. If anything I need to buy some time to allow Damir to find me. I keep my eyes on the ground in front of me as I step off, the feeling of solid ground beneath me feels odd after being at sea for so long. Next thing I know my knees buckle and I vomit over the side into the water. Bastian gently taps my back "There there, you're just nervous is all. It's been a long trip once you get used to your new surroundings you'll see how much better you'll feel."

Helping me up off the ground he guides me to the jeep where I sit on the front passenger seat, two other men sitting behind me as Bastian takes the wheel. We head inland as he cheerily introduces me to the fact that we're on the main Island in a chain of rather secluded islands where they have a couple of small cities, the population is mainly shifters with a few humans that are employed from generations ago who inherit their post and some newer human residents are mates to shifters. He stops at a local shop to let me wash up in the restroom and to get a few drinks and snacks before continuing on.

"Max's home is a bit more in land at the top of the mountain so it'll be a while before we arrive, I'm sure you're tired so we'll give you a better tour around the community and island on another day. No rush." He nods over my shoulder as I look out to sea the water is clean and calm, there are fishing boats and smaller shacks with people working at a leisurely pace. I glance over his shoulder and see lush green trees and a few homes that are well spaced out as we keep going further into the island away from the coast. I take my beef jerky and an apple out of the bag he handed me, I'm hungry but my stomach still doesn't feel right so I nibble slowly as he turns on the radio.

After about an hour on the winding road we reach a massive home standing bright and proud on the top of the mountain, from here I can see all the way down to the beach there's a pretty large city below and some farm lands. I stand there gawking at the beautiful scenery but as I look out to the ocean there's nothing but blue as far as my eyes can see. My heart breaks a little more as I'm consumed with sudden desperation.

I feel a warm hand on my shoulder so I look up with tears running down my face, still not speaking a word. "Come Nico I'll show you to your room, you can take a nap and freshen up before dinner time, you'll see it's really a fabulous island." Bastian looks at me for a moment before speaking up again. "You know I didn't like you at first since I thought you were just an arrogant fool but then I got to know you and being on my mission to bring you home to Max. You gave him so much trouble and caused him so much heart ache.. he's a good Prince and a fair ruler. If only you would've just given him a chance to start with, we wouldn't have all had to go through this." He tsk's at me shaking his head as he leads me indoors.