18. Companion

It started to rain a while ago. 

A storm rolled in and dark clouds blocked out the setting sun.

I looked outside the window and watched as the clouds morphed and took different shapes as they were carried on the wind. I closed my eyes and listened to the rain as it hit against the glass. I leaned into the warmth next to me and shifted my focus to his breathing.

I don't know how or when I go here. But I was in his arms again within an hour of the 'problem'.

He hadn't said anything in a while, so I figured he was asleep.

I opened my eyes again and watched the fire. It had started to die out as the wood was burned to ash, but still burning brightly. 

I looked up at Todoroki when he fussed slightly. Sure enough, he was fast asleep.

I watched him for a bit before sitting up. I bit my lip slightly and touched his cheek gently. I relaxed a bit when he didn't wake up and moved my fingers up to his scar. 

I ran my thumb over the rough skin beneath his eye. My breath hitched in the back of my throat when he leaned into my touch. I could feel my face start to heat up more as I pressed my palm to his cheek. 

He hummed slightly and I blushed more when he put his hand on mine. He opened his eyes slightly and looked at me tiredly. His voice was rough from sleep as he spoke softly.

"What are you doing...?"

My mind went blank and I struggled to find the words. I looked away as I stuttered out nonsense.

He chuckled and turned his head to kiss my wrist. He sighed softly and closed his eyes again, "It's alright... I like it..."

I could only nod and watch as he nuzzled into my hand. I rubbed his scar again with my thumb, "How did you get it...?"

I looked away slightly when he froze, "It's ok. You don't have to answer. It was stupid of me to ask..."

He sighed and pressed into my hand more, "My mother..."

I tensed and looked at him. I stayed quiet, waiting for him to continue.

"She said I reminded her of my father... before she poured boiling water on my face..."

I bit the inside of my cheek, not sure how to respond, "I... Im sorry..."

He sighed and pulled away from my hand, "It's fine... I was just a burden to her, I guess." He shrugged and looked up at me. 

I looked down and nodded slightly, "I know what you mean..." I didn't like the silence that followed so I continued, "My mom doesn't love me either I guess..."

I felt him sit up and looked up to meet his eyes.

He leaned a bit closer and grabbed my shoulder when I started to pull away. 

He spoke softly again, but sternly, "We don't need them..."

I was probably a bright red by now, and his tone didn't help. 

We stayed there quietly for what seemed like hours. I didn't realise I was holding my breath until my chest started to burn from keeping it in. I reached out and grabbed his arm slightly to ground myself.

"Todoroki...?" 

I gasped softly when he leaned closer. I could feel his lips brush against mine before he stopped when the door opened.

"Todoroki! I got what you asked-!.... for...?" 

I tensed at the unmistakable voice and gulped. I let out the breath I was holding when he pulled away with a sigh.