Gone Too Far

Rey

We arrive on Patar two hours later, a full day before Ben arrives. Using master Luke's journal as a guide, we will go to the place he mentions, the Horcinth Canyon.

Chewie stays behind with the Falcon, while Poe, Finn and I explore the canyon on vompaats. Vompaats are large, slow moving mammalian creatures. They have long snouts and even longer legs. Being very docile, they are easy to tame and can be very helpful for farming and transportation on rough terrain such as in the canyon.

We pay a local sweebgin farmer to allow us usage of three of his vompaats for the day.   Although known for their friendliness, Poe's vompaat proves to be the exception. He repeatedly attempts to buck Poe off or swings his snout around blowing a viscous fluid at him. The first time, he hit Poe right in the face with it, and Finn and I almost fall off our own vompaats laughing.

About one kilometer from the canyon with Poe trailing at least fifty meters behind us, Finn states, "Rey, I have to tell you something. I've wanted to tell you for about a year now, but it never seemed like the right time. Rey, I am Force-sensitive. Not strong like you, but I can feel things and I know things without explanation. Like, I know something is going on with you that you won't talk about."

Catching me off guard with his statement, I take my time answering him. "Finn, I'm not surprised that you are Force-sensitive. I have picked up on things from you many times in the past. I didn't know if you realized it or not, so I decided to just stay quiet and let you discover your abilities on your own. As far as the other, yes, something has been going on. I've nearly died twice, lost my children and my ability to have children and killed two innocent people in a fit of rage in just the last two months. So yes, something is going on with me."

Finn looks at me so intensely, I'm reminded of someone else I know. Narrowing his eyes, he states, "I know about all of those things Rey.  But none of that, as terrible as it is, is what I am talking about. I feel it in you Rey. You have been heartbroken and it has left a gaping hole in your spirit. Now that hole is filling up with other things, darker things."

How can Finn possibly know that?

His Force abilities obviously go beyond just being Force-sensitive. Taking in a deep breath, clearing my throat, I state, "Finn, I am working through some things..."  The dream from last night of Ben and I on the Sith throne races through my mind. "...and I need you not to push me." It comes out sounding like a warning even to my ears.

When he opens his mouth to say something else, his vompaat rears up on its back three legs and lets out a loud trumpet sound through its snout. My vompaat soon follows. Poe's vompaat completely flips him off backwards and begins to run back the direction we come from.

Up ahead, five humanoid figures stand at the canyon's entrance, waves of hate and darkness rolling from them. So dark is their countenance, I'm positive we are on the right trail of a wayfinder. Luke has warned in his journals of many people all over the galaxy that still worship the Sith and any artifact that has to do with them.

After dismounting our vompaats, Finn and I slowly approach the five cloaked figures. The apparent leader of the group steps forward. His stature is short, but he gives off a lethal aura.

I speak up first and attempt to ask in the native Patar language, "We are looking for the star destroyer wreckage. Can you tell us where it is?" The leader tilts his head to the side, but does not answer.

Kill them and take what you need. You have the power.
It is the voice again.
Kill them all!

A new sensation runs through me, rolling over my other senses, tainting them. My peripheral vision darkens for a few moments, then becomes very sharp while my sense of smell and taste heightens. Using my tongue to wet my lips, I taste a sudden wave of fear on the air. Lub dub, lub dub, lub dub, the figures heartbeats accelerate.  The leader and his companions all take two collective steps back.

"Rey, what's wrong?" I hear Finn say, but it sounds like he is a million kilometers away.

Suddenly, running toward the figures, they turn and bolt. The scent of panic thick in the air increases my blood-lust.  The leader is the closest. Taking out my light saber, I ignite it and cut him down from behind, nearly cleaving him in half.

Cutting down three more, their hoods fall away revealing gnarled alien faces with large black eyes. The last and smallest one disappears inside the mouth of a nearby cave. I can vaguely hear someone screaming behind me, but ignore it, in search of my prey.

Lub dub, lub dub, lub dub. As his rapid heart beat hammers inside his chest, the smell of his terror thickens. He is close. Rounding the corner, I come face to face with him, his attempts to hide himself in a crevice having failed. His hood falls down revealing his face. His appearance is much younger than the others, explaining why he is also the smallest of the group. Looking at me with huge black eyes, he puts his hands up in a pitiful effort to protect himself.

"Where is the destroyer?" He immediately tells me the exact location, then begins to beg for his life. I give him my sweetest smile and with one swift stroke of my lightsaber, separate his head from his shoulders.

Their blood is red like mine, I think absently.

Exiting the cave, Finn and Poe stand at the entrance, their big dark eyes reminding me of the young one I just killed. As my head begins to swim, I stagger, falling into Finn's arms and everything goes black.

Opening my eyes no more than a few minutes later, I find myself lying on the ground with my head in Finn's lap. My vision and other senses have returned to normal. I can remember what I did, but it feels like a million years ago.

Trying to get up, Finn grabs my arm firmly. "You need to rest a little while longer."

"No I don't. We have to get to the wreckage," I answer while jerking my arm loose. "Are you coming with me or not? And where is Poe?"

"Poe went back to the Falcon. Some emergency communication come through from the First Order spy," he says curtly. "And yes, I'm coming with you. Someone has to make sure you don't go too far again," he mumbles that last part.

****************************************

Poe

The First Order spy sent word that Kylo Ren is coming to this very planet tomorrow evening and will be alone. He is searching for a Sith wayfinder too.

How convenient.

A plan begins to form in my mind of capturing and killing Ren while he is here. We have two force collars on board the ship. Leia sent them with us in case...My anger seethes thinking about Rey and her actions of today. That monster is responsible for this. He has broken her—made her this way. Maybe if I kill him his influence on her will die with him.

AN:  Hmmmm, what did y'all think?  Remember to vote and comment

AN:  Hmmmm, what did y'all think?  Remember to vote and comment.  I'm super excited about the next chapter.