I'll Come Back

REY

Ben staggers to his feet and I guide him to the crystal pool, my arm around his waist for support.  His movements are very slow, allowing me to lead him. Stumbling over a large tree root in the path, we almost both go down. Although I sense a progressive peace overtaking him, he hasn't spoken a word since screaming "No!" at the large rock clearing.

When we arrive at the pool, I strip us down to our undergarments. Ben is stiff as I pull his top over his head. He says nothing, just stares into the lush forest. My thoughts are pure. Nothing  sexual or immodest about the act of undressing, just necessity.  After leading him into the pool, I calmly tell him, "Ben, submerge yourself to fully saturate your hair." Without a word, he does as instructed.

With the washing suds, I massage his scalp, slowly running my fingertips through his dark locks. I feel him shudder at my touch-the act so intimate and soothing. A pricking in my heart reminds me I have never had anyone wash my hair or care for me in this way. Has anyone done this for him since he was a boy?

Moving on to the rest of his body, I slowly wash away the sticky sweat, grime, and filth of the day. My fingers linger along his facial scar. Do I regret giving this to him?

Glancing up, our eyes connect. Deep emotions threaten to boil over in his twin souls, but are held back.

With a warm smile, I tell him to go to the deep end of the pool and rinse, intending for him to relax. He obeys without question, reminding me of giving an order to a droid.

I wash myself, then move toward the deep end with Ben.  Floating with his eyes closed like just this morning, I take the time to study him. The sunlight beams through the tree canopy, dappling his skin, seeming to warm him. His jaw is relaxed and the wrinkle between his eyebrows has vanished. Lips slightly parted, he inhales and exhales with a slow steady rhythm. I think of attempting to pry into his thoughts but quickly dismiss this idea. I don't want to jeopardize his recovery.

Moving to the deeper water, I begin to float myself.  After a few minutes, our bodies gently bump together. Slowly reaching out, he takes my hand in his, interlacing his fingers with mine.  We stay here weightless, listening to the rhythmic tinkling of the water, lost in our thoughts. Eventually, I hear his voice in my mind, Thank you. I squeeze his hand gently in response.

The temperature will begin to drop within an hour and we need to get back to the hut.

Walking back to the settlement, Ben's movements are less sluggish.  He again reaches out, taking my hand in his-a natural act now. His skin is warmer, cheeks slightly pink from the sun, features softer.

When we reach the clearing, I reluctantly let go of his hand so he can go to his ship to get dry clothes. Afraid he won't return, I know I have an unnatural fear of people abandoning me, but just can't help it.

Don't worry. I'll come back.

I nod to him and turn to walk toward my dwelling and he toward his ship.

I'll always come back.

Not turning around to acknowledge what he says, he knows I hear him.

While waiting for Ben to return, I change into dry garments and smooth my wet hair. Making preparations to build a fire, I begin to reconstitute some food.  My wood supply is getting low and I will need to get more tomorrow.  My chest tightens.  Tomorrow is Day Four, my last day, my last chance.  If today proves anything, it is the dark still has quite a hold on Ben, but he has the determination to fight it even if it breaks him.

Ben returns, pausing in my doorway timidly, as if asking permission to enter.  His eyes, still  a little haunted, remind me of how he stood leaning against that same doorway with his arms folded, a proud and arrogant look on his face, only three days ago.

I motion for him to come in and sit at the table.  We eat our bland reconstituted food in silence; sustenance, something to keep our bodies going, nothing pleasurable.