The Betrayal

POE

"What do you mean Kylo Ren isn't there?  He's the most important target," I speak into the transmitter.

Turning to Leia, "Would you like to continue the strike as planned or ..." Trailing off mid-sentence because I notice a small smile on the general's face.  Rumors have circulated that Kylo Ren is actually her son Ben Solo. I believe these rumors to be made up tales to undermine Leia's authority.  By the look on her face now, I am not so sure.

Smiling, Leia gives the order, "Begin the strike. Hit them with everything we have." 

My spy in the First Order has managed to come up with an excuse not to go to the meeting, keeping himself safe.  Looks like the Supreme Leader has also.  Did someone tip him off?  Glancing nervously at Leia, suspicion leaks into my thoughts.

******************************************

REY

Morning comes with another song from my little bird.  The sun has actually been up for hours, but Ben and I slept in due to exhaustion from the night's activities. 

I raise my arms over my head and stretch, feeling little spasms in my feet.  Ben groans next to me, his joints making popping noises as he arches his back.

"Good morning sleepyhead," I say.

Ben groans again feigning grumpiness.

"Ok, well good morning grumpy head."

"That's better," he says, wrapping his arms tightly around me and burying his face in my hair.

"I believe I'll take you up on that offer for a mouth scrubber," he croaks.

After tending to necessities such as food and water, I begin picking up the pieces of the maze game. They are scattered all over the floor. Ben helps, but although we look everywhere, we are unable to find the silver sphere.  I poke my lip out in a pout and Ben's eyes flash.  Pulling me to his chest, he states, "Here, let me help you feel better."

Ben is so at ease, letting me see his playful side and sense of humor.  I would never in a billion light-years have thought the man I dueled with in the snow at Starkiller base is the same man who stands before me now. This man in front of me is kind, gentle, and a bit rough when I want him to be.

"What are you thinking about?" Ben asks.

"You don't know? I thought you could read my thoughts."

"Not if you have your side of the bond closed," he states.

I smile remembering why I had to close the bond.  A person can only take so much pleasure.   

Slowly opening the bond in my mind, I reveal my thoughts. Sighing, he presses his lips gently to mine. The faintest glow of an aura surrounds us.  We noticed it last night after the bond completed.

It is nearly time for evening sustenance. Ben has gone to his ship to retrieve clothes and some special mystery food he wants me to taste. He also mentioned he has something important to tell me.

While making up the bed I wonder if I should take the linens to the waterfall and wash them. Hearing a groan behind me, my heart stutters.

Ben stands in the doorway, arms pressed out against the doorframe on either side to steady himself.  His head hangs down at a harsh angle, and he looks like he may collapse at any moment.

He suddenly snaps his head up and I gasp.  His face and lips are so pale, almost white.  I run toward him in panic.  One of his hands shoots out to me and I fly backward slamming hard against the stone wall, my head ricocheting.