Chapter 39

Jen's POV:

I honestly never thought I'd see the day James would actually clean up after someone other than himself.

Walking into the kitchen, I decide to make some food only to see James come in and start doing the dishes I made dirty. Since the incident, he's been treating me like a baby.

Speaking of the incident, it had been a few months since then and a few things have changed.

For one, James has been the best boyfriend ever. From all of the random attention spurs to all of the weird mood swings that occur from time to time, James has been supportive and kind through it all. I don't know what's gotten into him but I hope it never goes away.

Who knew that falling in love with my best friend would be one of the best decisions I've ever made?

Back to what I was saying, number two, my parents have been home a lot more, most likely afraid I'm gonna somehow manage to hurt myself again or get pregnant...

This really doesn't make any sense since I'm still wearing my purity ring every day, but whatever.

Three, school is hitting hard and I've recently found myself busier than ever.

Playing volleyball, finishing homework, studying for tests, submitting college applications, trying to remember to take my migraine pills, and doing it all on about six hours of sleep every night is tough to juggle.

Also, having my parents home for this long is really weird. Since they're both always so busy and traveling, it's scary to see them every morning around seven, up, drinking coffee and sitting in the kitchen or more...

*internally shivers*

For example, last week when I was going downstairs to eat breakfast, it was dead silent in the house so I thought I was in the clear and alone.

I had really gotten used to being home alone.

Turns out, I wasn't even close to being in the clear because when I entered the kitchen, my parents were kissing. Mind you, my mom was sitting atop the counter...

Before things escalated too quickly, I interrupted them but now my mind is scared.

For that reason, I can no longer eat breakfast in the kitchen...

ANYWAYS, enough about my parents because I have tea! The tea is that after today, WINTER BREAK WILL HAVE OFFICIALLY STARTED!

Woah, what's with all of the excited screaming? I'm excited too but there is no reason for all the screaming. Have some self-control people!

Ok, since everyone seems to have calmed down, I will continue.

Like I was saying before, yes, winter break is starting and this year, I choose where the Potato Squad goes for the two-week vacation. It's between the family cabin we own on the resort we go to for fun and NYC/Times Square...

The second option is obviously more costly so I have to run it by the group so everyone can vote and pitch in. For that reason is why the whole squad is gathered in my basement at the moment.

"Ok guys, everyone should know the drill, besides Alex, and once James explains everything, we can get started."

"Ok, Alex, so here's what happens every year. First, we pick out of a hat to find out who next year's place picker will be. It will be you since you're the newest member. So far everyone has gone except you and Jen, which is why Jen is just now going. After that, the person who was chosen this year voices the two options they've decided on, and we either vote to split the break between the two places or take a vote for one place. The majority always wins because Jens's parents were usually the tiebreakers if there was one. With you here though, we don't need their input anymore."

"Oh ok, that makes sense."

I clap my hands and move to stand in the middle of the room, ready to get started.

"Ok, so, now that we don't need to do the first part, here are my two options. NYC or my family cabin on the resort..."

I heard a few oohs and excited squeals.

"This is so difficult! The cabin house is always fun because its only ten minutes away from that resort I always forget the name of but at the same time, we've never been to New York and I've always wanted to go to Times Square!" It was Kyra who spoke up.

"Yea, but what if we just split it..."

"We could but by the time we get to both of them and come back, we'll be exhausted and with the ACTs coming up at the beginning of February and trying to cram for that... " Shae drifted off.

"How about we take a blind vote like back in the days in primary school..." Cayden suggested.

"Ok, that makes sense. Close your eyes, I'll count everyone." I added.

Once everyone had their eyes closed, I called out the places and collected the number of hands raised.

"Everyone can open their eyes now. "I paused for dramatic effect. "PACK Y'ALL BAGS BITCHES! WE'RE GOING TO NEW YORK CITY!" Everyone cheered and hollered, moving to leave and pack their suitcases."

Before everyone left, I made sure to scream for them to be at my house by five am, bring their trip savings, and to dress comfortably since we're driving.

Now all that's left for me to do is pack...

ughhhhhhhhh!

Hey Guys,

Please don't hate me! I know, its been a minute but I'm trying... Anyways, the next chapter should be up by Friday night. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please don't forget to vote, comment, and follow me! I always follow back!

Until later,
My Lovely Little Potatoes🥔❤️