Chapter 37

James POV:

I saw everything happening in slow motion.

From the moment she hit my chin to the time when the pile of blood from her foot began pooling on the floor and lastly, to the moment the paramedics took her away into that damn truck. I didn't react quickly enough to catch her which was my third mistake.

What's the first and the second you may ask.

Mistake #1: Becoming way too overprotective over Jen
Mistake #2: Not having enough common sense to move my damn chin before yanking her backward, similarly to the way Cayden did to Kyra.

And lastly, as I mentioned before,

Mistake #3: Not reacting quickly enough

It's only my first day as Jen's boyfriend and I've already fucked up. How the hell am I supposed to tell my future in-laws that I let their baby get hurt again?

My mom heard the girls screaming and came running over. I just thank God that she was even home.

Usually, she is out with her friends having lunch or playing volleyball with people on the beach, trying to "stay young and fit while she still can" as she loves to claim.

I can't stop thinking about everything that has happened recently.

My mind is racing as I sit in this uncomfortable ass chair in the waiting room and wait for the doctor to come out and tell me the damage that I've somehow always seemed to cause.

I'm really starting to get sick of this fucking place. Way too much shit has ended up with me in this damn waiting room and I don't know if I can take it anymore.

The next time I end up here, it better be me in that hospital bed instead of Jen. Not that I'm trying to jinx myself or anything, it's just that if I see Jen back in another fucking hospital bed anytime soon, I might just go crazy.

I wonder if her parents hate me yet...

Speak of the devil and he shall appear.

or in this case, they...

"Hey James, what's the status on our baby girl?" It was Xavier, Jens's father, who said that. He and Danielle had just arrived, breaking my taunting thoughts. We did our signature handshake and both of them sat down next to me.

"I'm unsure... The doctor has yet to come out and its been a little less than an hour."

"Oh ok." He paused before continuing. "Where is everyone else?"

"Um, Shae and Alex stayed back at the house to clean up the broken glass, blood, and the mess we made from breakfast this morning. While Cayden and the girls are currently at the Cafe and gift shop, getting some food and presents for Jen."

I heard Danielle let out a small gasp as she heard what Shae and Alex were doing and after I finished speaking, she took over, rapidly firing questions at me.

"Which glass broke?"

"Why wasn't she wearing any slides or shoes?"

"How did she end up on the floor?"

"Didn't she have a concussion a few days ago?"

"Why was there screaming? I heard from Mary that everyone was screaming."

"Was she acting weird before all of this. Like, before y'all kissed??"

"Did y'all start dating yet?"

"Are you still a virgin?"

Oh, I completely forgot how intrusive Danielle can be at times. I just take it as her way of showing that she cares.