Chapter 41

Garnet ran. She ran as fast as she could. She ran until the sandy shores and smashed building of Beach City turned into concrete paths and tall buildings. The few people walking about with their umbrellas shots her curious looks, though they couldn't see her well due to the fact it was raining.

Garnet rapidly scanned the buildings around her as she passed, pausing for a moment to dodge a car. She mumbled something than took off sprinting again. It was around sunset, so everything was darker. That was good, because she was easily able to see car headlights.

I'm getting near. I know it. She thought, already being able to see her destination. She jumped and skidded to a stop on the sidewalk, looking up at the house. Connie's house. She thought, slowly approaching the door. Garnet lifted a hand and knocked quickly. She didn't hear any movement inside, so knocked again, assuming they couldn't hear it over the rain.

"I'm on my way!" A voice called, slightly annoyed. She heard the slight sound of someone stumbling down the stairs, and then a thud against the door. The door creaked open slowly. "Sorry, I-" Mr Maheswaran stared into Garnets eyes. "Oh no, no no no! Why are you here?" He angrily demanded.

"We need Connie." Garnet responded. Mr Maheswaran took a step back. "With the earthquakes around? Definitely not! She already hurt her leg when a building fell! If they're that bad-" "No. It's not earthquakes." Garnet cut him off. "They are! What else could they be!?" He yelled.

"A monster." She responded calmly. Mr Maheswaran laughed. "A monster? If you're going to lie, at least make it believable." Garnet didn't moved, and a confused look crossed his face. Suddenly, the faint sound of a roar echoed eerily around the street.

Mr Maheswaran stumbled back. "W-what?" He mumbled, a scared look now on his face. Garnet grabbed both his shoulders and lifted him. "That's why we need Connie. I know you're scared for her, but if I don't take her, the monster will come get her itself." Garnet explained, disliking she had to lie a little to get the point across to him. Well, other than coming to get only Connie, it is true.

He wiped his brow and rested a hand on the doorframe. "I.. I'll... go try to explain this to her mother. It'd be best if you waited here.." Mr Maheswaran said, walking towards the stairs. Garnet stood with her arms impatiently crossed, as rain continued to grow heavy.

She could hear the faint sounds of arguing, even through the noise of the rain. She began to let her thoughts wander. Hopefully they're still distracting him. She thought, glancing in the direction she came from. Sudden fast footsteps gained her attention back.

"Excuse me! If my husband here is right, you want our daughter to go with you while she's injured!?" Mrs Maheswaran yelled, stomping up to Garnet. She saw Mr Maheswaran mouth 'Sorry' to her. Garnet just stared down at Mrs Maheswaran.

"Please, could you answer me!?" Mrs Maheswaran said, crossing her arms. "A human with no experience would not understand, but I'll try to explain it to you." Garnet finally said, and Mrs Maheswaran backed up, momentarily looking confused instead of angry.

"There's a giant monster, who used to be our friend. I believe Connie will be able to calm the monster down and stop it from destroying all of Beach City, and possibly here." She explained quickly. Mrs Maheswaran looked confused again, and Garnet turned to look towards the stairs.

"Garnet? Why are you here?" Connie's tired voice asked. "Connie, I need you to come with me." Garnet said. A look of excitement sprung across Connie's face, as she rushed back upstairs, shouting. "Let me get my things!" Mrs Maheswaran started to walk towards Garnet, angrier than before, but Mr Maheswaran grabbed her arm and shook his head, leading her towards the couch.

It wasn't long before Connie was walking towards Garnet, holding an umbrella. Garnet picked Connie up and turned to her parents. "Thank you." She said, before slamming the door shut and running towards Beach City again. "I see your mother bandaged you leg." Garnet said to Connie.

"Yeah, and I'm thankful for that. But if I walk to fast it begins to hurt." Connie said, carefully rubbing her leg. Garnet continued to run. Connie nervously stared at her hands, which tightly gripped the umbrella, before speaking up. "Hey Garnet?"

Garnet looked down at Connie. "What's going to happen when we arrive back at the boardwalk?" Connie asked. "We're going to bring Steven back." Garnet answered. Connie shook her head. "No, I mean how are we going to bring him back?" Connie said.

"You will. Hopefully." Garnet answered again, adding in the last part more quietly. Connie just nodded and they both turned to stare forward, feeling and hearing the footsteps of Steven. They were almost there, and they both had no idea what would happen when they arrived. And as she ran, Garnet could feel herself become more worried as the footsteps grew louder.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Ah, I don't really have anything to say. Uhh.. oh yeah! I might be rewriting the first chapter soon. So keep an eye out for that if you want to read the rewritten part.

Sun finally coming out

Rushing forwards with a shout

Finally falling into place

Finally there was enough space.