Chapter 9

Connie opened her eyes a slit, a bright light invading the darkness. She groaned and opened them fully, and turned to see Lion staring at her. Connie rubbed her eyes and stood up, a yawn erupting from her mouth. Her eyes suddenly shot open in realisation. "Oh gosh, I'm dead!" She yelled, jumping onto Lion's back.

Lion jumped and began to run along a familiar street, Connie's house soon coming into view. Lion parked himself outside and Connie jumped off him, nervously standing at the door, her finger tracing circles around the doorknob. Feeling a burst of courage, she opened the door and saw her parents worriedly sitting on the couch together.

"Connie! Where have you been? Do you have any idea how worried me and your father are?!" Her mother snapped, standing at full height. Connie lowered her head in shame, opening her mouth to tell the truth. "Mom, it's.. about Steven-" "Steven, Steven, Steven, Connie, have you forgotten about your own family? You don't live with Steven!" Her mother cut her off, which aggravated Connie greatly, but she tried to continue as calmly as she could.

"No, it's that he's sick or something-" "Then his 'parents' can take him to a doctor! It's not life threatening, is it? Because if it was, I'm sure I would've heard." Connie lifted her head and stared her mother in the eyes. Worry blanketed them, but anger was also present. "Are you sure? Because the only thing you seem to do is worry, worry, worry!" Connie snapped back, internally shocked at herself.

Her mother flinched back, offended. "That's it, young lady! Go to your room!" Her mother finally said the words Connie had been dreading, but expected. "Fine! It's not like Steven is missing or anything!" Connie yelled, trying oh-so hard to not let the tears fall.

Her mother back off for a moment as Connie stomped upstairs, actually worried about the missing child. Her father then only lifted his head, the two making eye contact, before speaking in perfect rhythm with each other. "Missing?"

Pearl's foot tapped against the floor, impatiently awaiting the return of Garnet, who was out collecting water from Roses fountain. She let out a long sigh. "Why do I have to be the one waiting for Amethyst to come back? Surely I could help, and Amethyst would be fine on her own." She thought aloud.

Amethyst's gem lay on a soft velvety pillow, a light shining on it, which lit up them gem. The large crack in the middle of her gem was worrying Pearl more than she thought she should. Her hands intertwined, she sat on the ground and attempted to relax.

She continued, until the sound of the warp pad activating drew her attention to it, the figure of Garnet holding a large bucket appeared, which caused Pearl to get up. Garnet ignored Pearl and walked to the table, setting the bucket on the ground.

"Pearl, please get a cloth. I don't want any excess water to get any of Ste- our stuff, wet." Pearl nodded, walking into the kitchen to get one. Garnet carefully pick up Amethysts gem, the other hand dipping into the water. Pearl returned, and set herself down as Garnet continued. She carefully poured the cool water onto Amethysts gem.

But it didn't heal. Panicked, she carefully put it in the bucket and submerged it, before taking it out to see the crack healed, or, at least mostly healed. "I don't understand, why is there like, a scar?" Pearl commented, confused. Garnet cupped her face with one hand as the suddenly realisation dawned on her, the gem dropping onto the pillow.

Three figures surround something, looking menacingly down at it. One reached down and picked it up, trying to pull something off. "Maybe that's not a good idea-" "Shut it." One figure backed down at the authoritative tone in the voice. "Hmm. Well, if it isn't" the figure paused with an eerie smile. "Steven Universe."

—————————————

Enjoy this update! Again, sorry for the short chapter, and again, sorry for having to apologise, but I'm going to the dentist to maybe get more than my teeth checked. Possibly braces, so to help me calm down, I wrote this chapter. Enjoy.

The trail of the few who fell

They fought and fought to protect

But alas, not all ends well

The commander who couldn't lead

The allies who wouldn't fight

The boy, who could bleed.