Chapter 2

The sound of a door slamming jostled Steven awake. Groggily, he sat up and rubbed his eyes. "Steven!" A voice called out. Recognising it as Pearl's, Steven jumped out of bed and slid down the stairs. "Oh, there you are Steven! I was looking for you." Pearl hummed. "Well, I'm here now." Steven breathed, walking past Pearl and to the couch.

"Anyway, I have a surprise for you!" She said, her voice getting a tad more excited. "Hmm?" He said, his interest growing. Pearl produced a pretty pastel pink flower pot from behind her back, white dots seemingly splashed all over it, and a small plant grew inside. "I know this may not be the best plant, but I got you some Roses, as a contribution to us forgetting about the past!" She said, happiness lacing her voice.

The comment stung Steven. How could they all.. act so.. FINE! His hands unintentionally balled into fists as a forced smile made its way onto his face. "Thanks, Pearl! I'll go put it upstairs. It's so pretty!" He lied, getting it up and taking it from Pearl, who smiled like a proud bird mom. His vision grew distorted around the sides, but Steven took no notice, too choked up about the plants. When he arrived at the entrances of the garden, he blinked.

No.. I'm being selfish. Pearl went out of her way to buy me this, and I'm being ungrateful. Steven shook his head and walked inside, placing it in a good spot under the sun, and watering it. He heard the door shut behind him, and he sat next to the flower. "Yeah. This'll be... fine.." He sighed. Steven closed his eyes, the darkness soothing. "Urghh." He groaned, suddenly feeling something between his teeth. He stuck his finger in his mouth and tenderly poked around.

"Whuuah-?" He attempted to say, feeling something pointy and sharp on the tip of his finger. Steven pulled his hand out of his mouth and scrambled up, attempting to see his reflection in a small puddle of water. His gasped as held his mouth open, seeing how sharp his teeth had become. He ran out of the garden and down the stairs, seeing Pearl walking towards the door. "I've got to go out, bye Steven!" She said, closing the door and walking out. "Bye!" He yelled, running into the bathroom and locking the door.

He stared at himself in the mirror, blinking and washing his face every now and then. Alright, this is.. new. Steven thought, lifting a hand to run through his hair.  He paused, feeling something cold, despite his fluffy hair. "What..?" He whispered, attempting to part his hair and look at what it was. He had to look for quite a bit until he saw something with a light silvery sheen, sharp and uninvited. No, no, no, no, no no NO! Steven almost yelled, stumbling back.

"Is.. is this..?" Steven cut himself off. A sudden memory pivoted around, blurry, until it froze and flashed in his mind. "No! I can't do this.. AGAIN!" He yelled, feeling searing pain throughout his body, and a pounding headache. He stared at himself, horrified at seeing the horns slightly peeking through his thick mop of fluffy hair. He staggered over to the sink, flipping it on and pouring the water on his head.

The feeling of pain cooled down, and the headache slowly retreated down to a small buzzing. He weakly stood up and turned it off. "Oh stars.. What should I do? I can't burden Amethyst with my problems as she has some of her own. Pearl will freak out and do something unneeded.. And Garnet.."  He decided to open the cupboard, and by some sort of higher up force blessing him, a hat sat behind everything.

With a sigh of relief, he reached in and grabbed it, plopping it on his head and carefully closing it. Steven turned and unlocked the door, peeking out. Seeing no gems, he rushed to the door and opened it, running down the steps, past lion, and to his car. He opened the door and hopped in, starting it and speeding off. "Maybe Connie will know what to do.." He worriedly muttered, turning the wheel as he made his way onto road.

Steven parked the car, pulling out the keys and slamming the door, making sure to lock his car. He rushed up to their door and began to knock. "Coming!" An oh so familiar voice chirped. The door opened and Steven instantly walked inside. "Oh, hey Steven-!" "Connie! I need your help!" Steven cut her off, a pleading look in his eyes. "Oh, what is it?" She asked, as he piqued her interest. "Well, is your mom or dad home?" He asked, his eyes darting around worriedly. Connie shook her head, to which Steven exhaled in relief. "Alright, you can't tell the gems though." He said, to which Connie grew worried.

He reached up and slowly took off his hat, Connies eyes, pinpointing the problem. "Steven! What happened?" She asked, her eyes widening. "I-I don't know. I got a flashback of when I was younger, and I felt pain. When I looked, these were here!" Steven said, a growl in his voice. Steven shoved the hat back on. "Steven?" Connie said, paranoid.

"I heard something." Steven said, turning his head.

———————————————

Hey guys, thank you to anyone who decided to read this story! Just gonna mention, it was painful to write 'mom' instead of 'mum' due to where I live. But 'bird mom' sounds better than 'bird mum'. Anyway, I wanna try something dumb and write a poem after each story to 'add affect'. Anyway, thank you.

-Salty

The boy with conflicting emotions,

He was scared, and oh-so lonesome.

He had many friends who knew him well,

But none, he knew that he could tell

His emotions spiralling out of control

His actions becoming none of his own

And slowly, he is losing his soul.

1000 words