Chapter 4

Connie wipes her eyes as lion ran across the board walk. Startled people jumped to get out of his way, the faint shouting of someone in the distance. C'mon Steven. Stay put. She begged, clutching Lions mane as the car wash came into view. "Mr Universe! Mr Universe!" She yelled, seeing no one outside.

Lion skidded to a halt beside the van, it shaking as the door opened. "Oh, hey kiddo." Greg said as he saw Connie and Lion. "Mr Universe, I have something important to tell you about Steven." Connie admitted, softly stroking Lion. "Oh? I'm sure it won't be bad." He said. "W-well, actually.. it might be.." Connie cringed,  seeing Greg suddenly turn around, a shocked look adorned on his face.

"Shoot." Greg said, worry sparking in his eyes. "You see.. he's partially changed into a.. monster.." Connie breathed, rubbing her arm as Greg's eyes widened. "What? Where is he?" Greg begged, rubbing his head. "We don't know, that's why I've come to ask you to help me search Beach City!" She said, a little bit of hope beginning to flame within her. "Of course! I'll get started right away!" Greg said, reaching into his van and hurriedly running away while attempting to put it on.

Calming her breath, Connie tapped Lion and they sped off in the opposite direction.

"Steven!" A voice yelled, a tall figure wandering around. She reached up a hand, a gem embedded into it, and shifted her shades so she could wipe her eyes. "Why isn't my.. ugh.. remember what he said.." The fusion mumbled to herself, steadily walking forwards as vines crossed her path. "We need to listen." Garnet said, a little louder.

She quietly walked forwards, deeper into the vines as they reached around, choking anything they could get themselves on. She slapped one away, summoning her weapon, and punching a hole in the vines. They spiralled upwards, blocking out the sun for any lower, more unfortunate plants. "Doesn't seem like anything here is-" she cut herself off, hearing something in the distance. "Steven!" She whispered, slowly getting closer, until the vines pulled away, and seemingly made a small vine cave.

Garnet saw something dark pink in the entrance, and as she crouched down, it slithered into the darkness. "Steven?" She whispered, peeking into the cave. Garnet froze, tensing up as she saw Steven. His jacket and shirt were torn in many places, and his back was ripped with spikes, shining silver in the faint light. Giant horns sprouted from his mouth and the corners of his mouth, sharper than the rest. Some parts of his skin were a dark pink.

"Steven." Garnet whispered softly reaching out. Steven turned his head, an enraged glare on his face. He focused his gaze on her hand, and, as quick as a snake, reached out a clawed hand and attempted to scratch it. "Steven, calm down, it's me." Garnet said, as Steven shakily reached out a hand. She took it into her own, and picked up Steven.

Garnet flinched, as Steven let out an ear splitting scream, before beginning to break down in her arms. Garnet began to walk, stroking Stevens back and attempting to calm him as he whimpered. It wasn't long until she saw the fountain again, with Pearl and Amethyst relaxing by the warp pad. "Pearl! Amethyst!" Garnet yelled, their heads quickly turning to the two.

"Is that- Steven!?" Pearl cried, dashing over. She didn't touch Steven, but the worry in her eyes as she followed Steven and Garnet said enough. Amethyst had a horrified look on her face as they stepped onto the warp pad, warping home. It was empty, so Garnet hurried upstairs and lay Steven on his bed, turning to Pearl and Amethyst. "Pearl, you watch over Steven while Amethyst and I go get Connie and Greg." She ordered, rushing down stairs. Pearl nodded and went with them, but only to grab a cup of water. She sat on the end of his bed and sat the cup down, watching over Steven who lay still, every now and again flinching, or wailing. "Oh, Steven," she sighed.

"Why didn't you tell us?"

———————————

Hey there! I hope this pleases ya'll. Sorry for the shorter chapter, but a friend's over, so I'm short on time. I'll update next chance I get, and here's today's poem!

- Salty

They boy who felt a little sad

The group who was disheartened

He stopped them from feeling bad

With a smile and a song

They smile just for him

But it didn't last for long

Alas the stories just began

And not everyone has had their fun.