Plans Change

Plans Change

Pauline met Steven in the ER. Lynnette was still unconscious. She has been out for almost forty-five minutes now. Paul arrived shortly after the ambulance and kept Steven calm. Pauline knew she wouldn't be able to treat Lynnette, but the Attending allowed her to remain at the nurse's station. She could also be of help giving information on why this happened and could tell Steven of any tests that were to be run and the results.

"Mr. Pennington? I'm Jackie. One of the nurses taking care of your wife. We need a complete medical history."

"Sure, anything you need."

"Is there a chance your wife may be pregnant?"

"No. We've never had sex."

"Could she have been with anyone else?"

"No. My wife's a rape survivor. She conceived our daughter when she was raped. Katherine is almost two.

"I'm sorry, we just have to make sure."

"It's OK. She does pass out when her rapist's name is mentioned, or she gets highly stressed. Other than that, she has never even had a cold or flu."

"Son, I'm going to call Barry and Edith. See if they can give any more information."

"Thanks, dad."

Steven now looked back to the nurse, "Thank you, Mr. Pennington. Someone will be out shortly to bring you back."

Steven remained in the waiting room with his dad. Unable to sit, he just paced back and forth. Fifteen minutes later, Paul returned.

"Anything happen before she and I met?"

"No, son, not even a cold. Never broken a bone and had all her immunizations."

"What the hell could be going on?"

"We'll just have to wait, son."

It seemed like time stood still. Everyone moving around, but Steven was in a timeless fog. Finally, after thirty minutes, Pauline comes to get Steven. "She's still unconscious, but they have her on an IV and monitoring her vitals. They even have her on an EEG to monitor her heart." She could tell the last part worried her son. "It's procedure, son... we do this all the time when we don't know what's going on."

"C...can I go back now?" Tears forming in his eyes. Trying desperately to keep them from falling.

"Yes, love. Doctors and technicians will be coming in and out for tests and such, just so you know."

Steven nodded, indicating he understood. Pauline walked back but didn't go into the room. Giving her son the privacy (as much as she could in an ER) he needed with his wife. Steven had been to work with his mom many times as a child. He was used to monitors beeping, the busy life inside a hospital... but when he saw Lynnette, the love of his life hooked up to wires and tubes. He couldn't hold the tears back. He broke down. He wanted so badly to crawl in the bed next to her and hold her. Telling her that he is there, and he will keep the monsters away. Instead, all he could do was hold her and bring it to his lips.

"Lynnette, my love." Whispering close to her ear. "Please wake up, tell me what's going on." Kissing her hand he continued. "I need you to wake up, love. I need you home where I can hold you in my arms. I need you awake so I can hold you once again in the shower. Feeling your skin next to mine. I can go my whole life and never make love to you, as long as I can hold you in my arms. I promise... I'll never take my boxers off, as long as I can feel you against my skin." He bent his head in prayers as he said the last bit. Not realizing that she had opened her eyes.