Chapter 66: A Sense of Danger

Start from the beginning

"Pika?"

"What is it, Pikachu?" Ash asked, although he seemed to have noticed something as well, his eyes shifting back to Riolu a moment. "Something about...Riolu?"

Clemont frowned, exchanging a confused look with Hawlucha and Rockruff, who seemed to be the only two there that were confused by whatever it was everyone else was noticing. "What is it?" he decided to ask, hoping Ash would have a better answer than Korrina. "You guys seem to be noticing something I'm not."

"Huh?" Ash blinked in confusion, looking over to Clemont, before chuckling nervously and rubbing his neck in embarrassment. "Uh...I don't really know. I just have a feeling Riolu's getting way stronger!"

"Are you going to use him in your match today?" Korrina asked excitedly, holding up her fists and shaking almost as though she was going to be battling herself.

Ash seemed to think for a moment, eyes drifting down to Riolu, who looked up hopefully. Clemont knew immediately what Ash's answer would be, and he grinned before the words were out of his mouth. "Sounds like a good idea. What do you think, Riolu?"

"Ruru!"

"Ah, so you're going to use Riolu today, huh?"

They all looked up as Flint walked through the doors of the Pokemon Centre, Trevor joining them as they approached the training field. "I've been wondering when you'd be giving him a shot."

"He's looking pretty strong," Ash told Flint confidently, Hawlucha voicing his agreement and nodding sagely next to Riolu, who looked pleased by the praise. "I know it's tough competition here, but he can handle it!"

Trevor bent down a bit and looked curiously at Riolu, fidgeting with his camera as though he was resisting the temptation to take a picture of it. "Think it's about to evolve?"

"Riolu needs to be very close with it's trainer to evolve," Korrina pointed out. "It can take a really long time to get to that point." She laughed as she added, "Even if it's Ash we're talking about."

Flint looked curiously at Riolu as well, though, seeming to think something was up as he studied it a moment. "Might be about to learn a new move. Anything weird happen in your training?"

Ash shrugged as Pikachu tilted his head, leaning forward and sniffing Riolu briefly, his cheeks sparking once more. Clemont was sure the electric mouse was sensing something, and if it was a new move, it was probably quite strong. He smirked as he pulled out a device from his backpack.

"I thought we'd encounter a situation precisely like-"

"Guys!"

The doors of the Pokemon Centre opened once again, and this time, it was Tierno emerging, panting as he stopped in front of the group outside. He seemed oddly upset, and Clemont immediately stuffed his device back in his backpack, exchanging a curious glance with Korrina before they turned their attention to him. Flint seemed on edge as well, apparently sensing Tierno's uneasiness.

"What is it, Tierno?" Trevor asked, patting Tierno on the back as he stood up, taking one last deep breath.

"It's the hunters!" he gasped out, eyes wide with shock. "Raphael's gone!"

Meowth didn't always admit it, but he did appreciate his time with Jessie, James and Wobbuffet. Sure, they struggled often enough, and they argued and did all kinds of things to one another that most wouldn't do to friends or family. But they were just that...family, and he'd truly missed them during his time imprisoned by the hunters.

When they'd brought him back to the Wetlands, the twerp's Goodra and the Wooper and Swanna accompanying them, he'd been pretty surprised. Considering what had happened previously with them stealing the water supply, Meowth had been very hesitant to approach too close when he was just with Wobbuffet and Skiddo, but apparently Jessie and James had somehow managed to make a temporary peace with the warden, Keanan, and the Pokemon.