Chapter 16 : The Shift

Start from the beginning

After yet another monstrously huge meal, the pack went outside of the house, ready to leave on their hunting trip.

''It's now or never... ouch! ... I meant, now or later! No pressure, you know!'' Jimin said not too reassuringly after Jin elbowed his side.

''I can do it. I remember now.'' Yu said confidently.

''Awesome! Then we can all hunt together!'' Hoseok said hapily.

Yu shook her head.

''The deal was that you were taking care of me until I was back on my feet. I'm back to full shape now, so it's my time to go. I don't belong with a pack; I'm a lone wolf. I'm meant to live out in the open world and travel light, without any ties. I'll follow you east, to reach the border of your territory and I'll keep going by myself. Thank you all so much for everything...'' she said sadly.

Jimin trapped her in a hug.

''Please don't goooo....'' He whined.

Hoseok added himself to the hug, followed by the rest of the pack that wrapped her into the warmest of all group hugs.

''None of us minds you staying... even Yoongi likes you...'' Hoseok said.

''You're all so kind, but I really have to go... It's the wise thing to do. I want to be as far away as possible from your lovely pack when my past comes to bite me in the butt... by my past I mean a lycan... Plus, I kinda miss my life as a nomad wolf... the freedom of running wherever your paws bring you...'' Yu said as the hug was slowly breaking apart.

''That's a lie...'' Yoongi said.

''Don't lie, Yoongi, you have a soft spot for her we all know it; you even gave her a piece of your bacon at breakfast!'' Taehyung replied.

''Hoseok didn't lie, she did. You don't want to leave because you want to be free. You want to leave because you're afraid...''

''Afraid? Of what?''

''Of everything... That's why you were a lone wolf in the first place. You were always on the move because you were afraid of the beast catching up to you. You were afraid of trusting people, even those who were happy to be there for you. If you were afraid for us, you wouldn't bail out as soon as you can. You would beg to stay and be a part of the pack, to help protect us. But you won't even think of staying with us, you won't allow yourself to, because you're even scared of yourself...'' Yoongi said in a matter of fact tone.

He couldn't be right... she couldn't be that much of a coward... that much of a slave to her fears...

''You were the one wanting me to leave and now you're trying to get me to stay...'' Yu muttered, irritated.

''I don't care if you leave or if you stay! But you have to stop lying to yourself! Are you gonna spend the rest of your life running away?'' Yoongi replied, his intonation full of venom.

''You said it; MY life! This was the deal from the start; I'm just following through with it. Does anyone else have a problem to bring up to further ruin  the moment of our goodbyes?'' Yu snapped back, her voice as threatening as a growl.

Everybody seemed a bit sad, like the perspective of the hunt had lost all its appeal.

''Come on guys... This is her decision; we have to respect her choices. Our last moment together can't be a sad one, we can be sad later! We still have a long way to go and a run with all eight of us together sounds like a great way to send her off!'' Hoseok said, with his eternal positivity.

''You're right. This doesn't have to be a farewell. You're always welcomed Yu; come visit us anytime...'' Namjoon said, despite his words, Yu could see the sadness in his eyes.