Chapter 11: The Shadow of Doubt

Life with Bangtan was starting to feel like routine.

Jin's cooking, Namjoon's advice, Hoseok's jokes, Taehuyng's games, Jimin's clinginess and Jungkook's competitiveness...

They were always laughing and taking care of each other, not really caring about anything else other than the pack. Each day, she discovered new sides to them and to herself. 

New words, new games,, new tasty foods!

But two dark shadows loomed over her peaceful days.

The first one was the idea that living with Bangtan was a temporary thing. They had taken her in until she felt better and she was pretty close to being at back at full shape. 

Overstaying their already too generous hospitality wasn't an option. She wasn't some kind of leech who would perpetually eat their food and share their roof without anything in exchange...

The second shadow had a name, in the person of Min Yoongi. While everyone had been welcoming to her, she could feel a weight in his gaze, like he was constantly examining her every move, waiting for her to make a mistake. His scrutiny and his aloofness only made her more and more uncomfortable as time passed. 

He didn't need to speak for her to understand his underlying message; hurry up and leave already!

So far, Yu had been lucky enough for Yoongi to keep his distance from her and generally avoid her, but this evening, her luck had ran out.

It all started with a game of ping pong. Jungkook was still sore from his defeats at arm wrestling and he was well determined to find something he could beat Yu at.

Taehuyng had produced some ping pong equipment out of nowhere and soon the kitchen table was turned into a ping pong arena where Yu and Jungkook were fighting to the death.

Of course, such an epic match eventually gathered the attention of the whole household who was busy cheering for them (they were mostly cheering on Yu since Jungkook had made a remark about how none of the boys could even come close to keeping up with him).

The commotion of the match was apparently so loud that it awoke Yoongi from sacred his afternoon nap. He emerged from his room, shrouded in an aura of darkness and ready to chew alive the fool responsible for his abrupt awakening.

But before he even had a chance to lash out his first passive-agressive comment, Yu jumped and hit the ping pong ball in mid-air sending it flying across the room with such strength that Jungkook had no choice but dodge it before it lodged itself in Yoongi's door, near millimetres away from his face. 

The ping pong ball was stuck, one half of it encased in the wood and it's other bright orange half poking out.

''What do you think you're doing?'' Yoongi growled while pointing at his door.

''We're playing ping ping...'' Yu replied cluelessly.

''Ping pong.'' Namjoon corrected.

''For fuck's sake, control yourself a bit before you hurt someone! If you want to keep acting like an animal go do it outside!'' Yoongi spat coldly.

''Did you just call her an animal?'' Jimin asked, his expression growing serious. ''You better take that back!'' the man said his tone rising and his fists closing.

''Look Yoongi, I know you get grumpy when you're woken up, but she didn't mean it, just like you didn't mean what you said right now, so let's drop this...'' Hoseok said in a diplomatic tone.

Hoseok's comment only seemed to irk Yoongi even more.

''You're all treating her like she's some kind of lost puppy, but she isn't. How do you think she survived alone in the wild as wolf? When we found her she had just killed a hunter in cold blood. No matter how you look at it, it's clear this girl is an experienced killer.'' Yoongi said plainly, he didn't speak much but when he did, he didn't spare his words and they stung Yu as bitterly as frostbites.