TWENTY-THREE

A yawn leaves my lips as I wait for my popcorn to finish popping, I don't plan on doing anything today. Sundays are my designated chill day, everyone in the house knows that. They don't knock on my door or even breathe the same air as me.

Once my popcorn is done I pour it into a big bowl and get grab a bottle of water. On my way to my room I nearly drop my snack, Changkyun walks out the bathroom and stares at me.

Deciding not to say anything I walk pass him but he stops me.

Me: What?
Changkyun: You can't speak anymore?
Me: There isn't anything for us to speak about.

He frowns.

Changkyun: All of your hostility confuses me.

It confuses me too half the time.

Deciding to end the conversation before something dumb spills out of my mouth I go into my room.

Pull yourself together Bri, it was just a few fucks. That's all you wanted remember? No relationship, no strings attached, just sex.

If that's all true then why do I feel so conflicted when I see him? And why does Violet's beating heart piss me off so bad?

Ignoring that butterfly feeling in my gut I scroll through netflix for a distraction. It isn't long before Mahogany blows up my phone with a thousand questions about the cabin trip.

She's another one who confuses me.

Clearly her and Kihyun are heart eyes for each other and yet they still haven't made it official. That bothers me as well, we're all just a bunch of morons.

__

Today is the day of the bake sale and I couldn't be less excited. I wanted to stay home today but with a pushy stepbrother like Kihyun that wasn't an option. He wanted all the bakers front and center when the sale began. Why? He says that's good branding.

He wants to run his own business some day so he tests out his boss skills whenever and wherever he can. I'll tell you one thing he's got that nagging down pat.

Jooheon: Everything looks so good guys. Think you're gonna' raise that money for greed island?

Greed Island was where we decided we wanted to take our senior trip. Of course the principal tried to turn it down saying it was way too much money, but after he heart about us raising the money he took it into consideration.

Changkyun: I hope so, I've never been before.
Kihyun: I went once when I was younger. I don't remember too much but the place was absolutely beautiful.

I've never been either but the photos online tells me everything I need to know. It's a paradise that makes you just want to run around the beach naked with a mimosa in your hand.

My type of vibe.

Mahogany: I heard Hyungwon has the flu, is he feeling any better?

I shake my head.

Me: He texted me this morning saying it got worse. After school I'm going to take him some soup.
Mahogany: Look at you being the perfect girlfriend.

Girlfriend? Something about that word doesn't sit right with my spirit, I cringe.

Me: I'm being a good friend.
Mahogany: If you say so.

Kihyun walks over smiling lightly.

Kihyun: So far we've made three hundred dollars!
Me: That's it?
Mahogany: That's all?

He nods.

Violet: It's not much but it's something right?

Get away from me.

Kihyun: We have another two batches of brownies and cupcakes in the bakery, along with a walnut pie, two pans of muffins and banana pudding. That should help us a little.
Me: And if it doesn't?
Kihyun: We'll be taking that cliché trip to an amusement park.

Mahogany sighs.

__

As expected we didn't raise enough, at all.

Violet: At least we tried right?
Kihyun: Correct! But Bri and I have a plan b.
Changkyun: You do?
Me: We do?
Kihyun: Code red.

I groan, I absolutely hate code red.

Once we get home from school Kihyun drags me to Hul's in home office. We both stand in front of the large oak wood doors barely breathing. He hates being disturbed when he's working and here I am, about to disturb him.

Kihyun: You got this!
Me: Go to hell.

I take a deep sigh before channeling my inner Leonardo DiCaprio. My feet act faster than my mind as I push open the two doors bathing into his office.

He looks up from his computer and his eyes widen as he sees my "tears."

Hul: Bri? What's wrong?
Me: W-we wanted to go to greed island for our senior trip.

Sniffle.

Me: B-but we didn't raise enough money at our bake sale, so we can't! And we worked so hard for it, w-we bakes for hours and hours!

Deep breath.

Me: All we wanted to do was make memories one last time with our friends b-before graduating!

More tears.

He stumbles to his feet approaching me carefully. 

Hul: How far were you from your goal?
Me: T-two thousand more dollars!
Hul: Shh, don't cry. I'll write a check so you and Kihyun can take it to school tomorrow.

And scene.

__

did i jack Greed Island from hunter x hunter? YERRR