My First Home

Chapter 57

Pulling into the driveway was the greatest sense of relief. I felt like I could breathe and didn't have to hold back anymore. All I wanted to do was run in and see Ashton, I didn't want to worry about getting my stuff until I just got to see his face. Calum parked the car and I immediately took off running to the door.

"Valerie, wait!" he called after me but I ignored him.

I pushed open the door, but it was empty inside. Literally empty. The furniture wasn't there and it was dark. I walked upstairs and saw cardboard boxes with labels on them. No one was there. Suddenly, footsteps came and a hand rest on my shoulder.

"I...wanted to tell you in the car but I didn't know how." Calum said looking at me.
"W-What does this mean?" I looked at him.
"Our lawyers think that it's better for you not to live in a house full of...chaos. So, we're all moving out so that you have a better chance to stay...with Ashton." He said walking over to lean in the wall.
"So...I'm not going to live with all of you anymore?"
"I'm...I'm afraid not, Val." Calum said choking up.

My eyes scanned over what I called home. My first home. I felt comfortable there, something I hadn't felt probably ever. I walked into my room. There were still some things of mine like my bed frame and all...but nothing that made it look like my room. I walked out and hugged Calum. He hugged me back and we stayed like that for a while. I didn't really know what to say. I mean...what do you say when your only family won't be together anymore?

We stayed silent. I walked into every room to give it a goodbye. I touched over tiles and painted walls, remembering my time here. I walked into my bathroom. My breath was heavy as I regretted what I did. Calum stayed outside the doorways to let me have my time. We walked downstairs and into the car. I gave the house one last look before we drove off. The wind from the open passenger side window blew in my face as the radio silently played songs from the 80s.