Love

Chapter 55

But a security guard budged in front of us. A crowd of people burst through the door and Ash and I were then pushed on opposite sides of the room. David came up to me and guided me back to where we were sitting. Ash and I just kept looking over at each other not letting the crowd of people screaming our names to distract us.

We were brought into the court room by security. Ashton had started crying and all I wanted to do was run over there and comfort him like he did me so many times before. Calum patted his back and weakly smiled at me. It was hard for all of the boys.

"He's going to be okay." Alicia whispered in my ear. A tear streamed down my face.

They brought David, Alicia, and I into a room and sat me down. I kept taking deep breaths and pacing around the room but I just missed Ashton so much that it was killing me.

Ashton was already in the courtroom. I wasn't allowed to know what was being said. A security guard was at the door to make sure I wouldn't run out of the room. Alicia kept trying to comfort me while David brought me a little paper cup of water from the corner of the room. I couldn't take it anymore.

A few minutes later, a woman came in and said it was time. Alicia and David walked out and went to sit down in the courtroom. My heart was pounding so hard that I thought it was going to come out of my chest at any minute.

The woman guided me in and sat me down in the stand. I looked at Ashton. He had been crying. The judge looked at me and then back at him and sighed.

"Valerie, I understand that this is a tough situation to get into. Can you tell me about your birth parents?" The judge said looking at me. I looked at Ashton and he had his full attention on me. Luke, Calum, and Michael all were looking too. I felt comfort in that.

"Th-They died. Right before I was put in the system." I said choking up.
"Did they ever treat you in a way that you would deem irresponsible?" He said staring at me.
"Yes, your honor."
"In what way?"
"Abusive, physically."
"Has Mr. Irwin ever treated you in that way?" The judge said.
"Your honor, I-" Ashton's lawyer stood up and said.
"Sustained." He said looking at the lawyer. He sat down and looked at Ashton.
"Of course not, you honor." I said looking at the judge now.
"Is it true you were hospitalized on numerous occasions?"

Everyone in the courtroom was staring at me. I was scared. I didn't know if I was even telling the truth judging from all the mixed stares from everyone.

"Yes, your honor." I said looking down at my hands.
"Can you tell me what the cause of those periods of times were, Valerie?" He said and I started to feel a lump in my throat. A tear came down my face.
"Um...first it was from me um fainting and a concussion and then falling into a coma and the second..." I said not wanting to say it.
"The second was what?"
"A-Attempted suicide." I said now crying. I couldn't look at Ashton and I didn't want to know what his expression was because I was scared. Everyone in the courtroom started talking to each other.
"Order!" The judge took the gavel and slammed it. I winced at each slam.
"Is it true you also attempted suicide again recently after being taken away from Mr. Irwin?" The judge said in a very demeaning tone.
"Y-Yes, your h-honor." I said terrified.
"Have you been diagnosed with any mental health problems since first being put in the system?" I looked at Ashton and he looked completely devastated. I never wanted to see a psychiatrist and he respected that. But now it's going to fuck everything up.
"Y-Your honor," I tried to explain.
"Were you or were you not diagnosed with any mental health problems while in the system or while under custody of Mr. Irwin?"
"No, your honor." I was balling my eyes out at this point.
"Have you seen a psychiatrist upon being in the foster care system?"
"Yes, your honor."
"When?"
"My first three months there I saw one every week."
"What about while with Mr. Irwin?"
"No, your honor."
"Mr. Irwin, what was the reason Valerie here had never visited a psychiatrist?" He said looking at Ashton.
"Sh-She wasn't comfortable with it whenever it was discussed us putting her into therapy." He said looking completely empty and drained from everything going on. I started crying.
"So what you're telling me, Mr .Irwin, is that you visibly noticed that Valerie had problems mentally and refused to get them checked because she said no?" He said attacking Ashton.
"I-" He tried to say whilst crying.
"You listened to a teenager before making sure that she was safe!" The judge said yelling at Ashton.
"He only wanted me to be happy!" I yelled standing up. The bailiff paid close attention to me.
"Valerie, sit down."

I didn't like that. I didn't like being treated like a kid. I had ben through a lot of shit and was forced to grow up quickly. All of the rage and anxiety that was in me was at the top of the meter and about to come out. I couldn't control anything anymore.

"No! You don't understand," The bailiff came by and was taking me out of the stand, "He's the only person who ever made me feel like I mattered! They were the only people who I truly felt love from! And you're going to take that all away because Ashton listened to what I wanted in my heart and was comfortable with? I love my father and I always will! Even if you take me away from him, he's the only person who taught me to happy with myself again!" The bailiff was holding my arms now as I stared directly into the eyes of the judge. Everyone in the court was completely shocked. Ashton was completely shocked. The judge on the other hand looked pissed.