Twitched

Chapter 49
Ashton's POV

She's been lying in that bed for over two weeks now. The court postponed all of the dates until she wakes up so that she can testify. Val looked peaceful and she slept soundly yet still. Hasn't moved a muscle in what feels like forever. God, I just wish I could have her back.

The boys came in and stayed with me in the hospital room as we waited. I let them have the bed that was in there for me because I wanted to stay by her side at all times. The doctor came in looking calm.

"Mr. Irwin, can I speak to you outside please?" He said and I got up and followed him out the door as he shut it.

"It has been almost three weeks. I know you don't want to hear this, but it might be time to say goodbye." The doctor said and I looked at him with tears forming.

"Sir, please, give her more time. Please, just a few more weeks." I said crying.

"We will give her a week, but that is max until it's time to shut off the life support." The doctor said opening up the door letting me back in.

I stood there as the door shut behind me. She doesn't deserve such a fucked up life, and it's my fault for bringing her into this. I brought in so much stress and pain into her life and it was more than she could handle. I feel selfish.

For some reason, she always made my life so much better. I was happier with her in it, almost like I forgot all of the stress going on. I needed her in my life to keep me going. If she wasn't here, I probably wouldn't have even been alive still.

"Ashton, what's going on? Is she okay?" Luke said sitting near her bed. All of the boys looked up. I began to cry.

"He's only giving her a week, and then they're shutting off the machine." I wasn't sure if they could even understand me through my crying. But soon, all of them began to cry.

We all hugged. After breaking apart, we walked over to Valerie and scooted chairs closer to her bed. They all sat there crying and I did too. I didn't want to lose her.

If it meant her being happier, then I wanted it for her. I just couldn't fathom her being gone and us going on with our lives. Even right now, with her unconscious, I felt like everything was falling apart. How was I supposed to go the rest of my life without her? How was I supposed to act like she wasn't the best thing that this world could offer?

I couldn't believe what her parents had done to her when I first heard about it. I instantly knew that it was my responsibility to always love and protect her as the father she fucking deserves from the time I signed those forms.

I was angry. I was angry at her previous life, the doctor, the court, myself. I was losing my daughter and I didn't know what to fucking do. I cried over and over.

Looking at her pale face as it shined from the light coming through the window and then down at her hand. Her cold little hand. Hooked up to IVs and shit. I went to grab her hand but stopped when suddenly her fingers twitched.