Healing

Chapter 46

Ashton helped me pack up a few of my clothes and other necessities. The other boys packed me some snacks to take with me. We left my stuff by the door.

Ash drove me to the law office. We got out and he put his arm around me as we walked in. He went to the receptionist and signed something and then came and sat down with me in the waiting room. A few minutes later, they called his name.

We walked through the door that the assistant held open for us. The hallway was dim lit. The framed pictures and achievements on the wall felt as if they were taunting me as we got closer. Ashton held open the door for me as we walked into a small room with a desk and some chairs sitting close.

"Hi sweetheart, you must be Valerie. I'm Mr. Coleman, but you can call me Peter." The man who was sitting at his desk said as he stood up. I nodded my head but stayed close to Ashton.

"You can trust him, Val, it's okay." Ash said when he knelt down and whispered in my ear.

We sat down on the couch that was close to the window with a chair for Peter to sit in. I scooted closer to Ash and he put his arm around me again. Peter sat down comfortably in his chair with a paper and pen.

"So Valerie, I know this is going to be very difficult for you. But I need you to know that I will be trying very hard to make sure you stay with your adoptive father." Peter said kindly. I just nodded my head again and Ashton squeezed my hand as a signal to warm up to him.

"Your court date is this Tuesday", today is Sunday, "And they are going to have you go up and basically explain what the past year and few months have been like with Mr. Irwin here. You just be honest to them and explain how you have felt. They might ask you about why you went to the hospital as well as the time that you were getting doctor visits when the band went on tour. I understand that you struggle with mental health?" Peter said and I shrunk into Ashton's arms. Ash squeezed my hand once more.

"Yeah, it was okay for a little bit but it recently came back." Ashton said still looking at me.

"Alright, well I will make sure to inform the judge. They might ask you about that but again, it's just about being honest. Now, there will b- does she know about the foster family?" Peter said looking at Ashton. He nodded while putting my hair behind my ears.

"Okay, Val. Your foster family will drive you to the courthouse early on Tuesday. Everything is going to be alright, sweetie." The lawyer assured.

Ashton and I stood up and I stayed close to him the whole time until we walked out. We got into the parking lot and he opened up the door for me. I climbed in and buckled my seatbelt. Ashton sat down in the driver's seat and out the key in the ignition. The drive home was silent besides the faint sound of the radio.

We pulled up and I took a deep breath. I got out of the car and looked up at the house. Ashton walked in with me and the boys sat there quietly waiting for some sort of news of me staying and not going anywhere and no more court dates. But sadly, not everyone gets to live happily ever after.

An hour later, a car pulled up. A middle aged woman walked out and knocked on the door. I stayed on the couch right next to Ashton while the other boys stayed close near us. Luke got up and answered the door.

We all stood up and said our goodbyes. I hugged them all and cried...a lot. When I got to Ashton, we held each other in the hug for a long time. He brushed back my hair and wiped away my tears.

"Everything is going to be alright." He said smiling through his tears while holding my head in his hands as I looked up at him.

Each of the boys helped me carry my stuff to the car. Ashton shut my door for me. The middle aged woman, who's name was Clara as she told the boys and I, looked at me and smiled.

"Let's get going, honey." She said. I frowned and turned away from her and looked out the window as we drove away. Each of the boys were hugging each other and crying.

"They are going to be happier as ever now." They said as I looked down at my healing scars.