22. A chance?

Nandini's POV

"Yes! Are there any more patients for the day?" I asked through the telephone sitting in my cabin as the previous patient left.

"No Doctor. There is none for now." Comes a reply from the receptionist.

"Okay then, I'll go for a round before retiring back for today. In case there is any emergency case. Do inform me." I spoke, to which she replied positively before ending the call.

A walked out of my cabin with my stethoscope n bag, holding few files as walked into a few of my patients in wards. Today I need to go back home as soon as possible as Princess is at home with Mom n Arjun. Even Navya n others might be there, but I'm not sure if she's comfortable or not or if she's okay after the panic attack, if she needs me or not?

First, I checked on the woman who's being admitted n operated for a building collapsing accident which caused her severe damage to her spinal cord. She has started responding to my treatment n hopefully get well soon. Then I trolled around passing a few more of my patients with encouraging smiles n assuring words to them n their attendants. Lastly, I entered the ward of my favorite yet naughty person who is sitting on the bed leaning his back at the bedrest, his head covered with a sheet to prevent infection in his brain... And he is reading the comic adventure story in interest.

When I entered the room, he peeked out of the book n smiled brightly spotting me.

"Whats up Rahul?" I exclaimed cheerfully.

"Ceiling is up... but I'm down... with u" he replied with a naughty smile.

"Oh! I believe u don't need any checkup anymore as ur answer is enough to say that u r fit n fine, young boy" I spoke while putting my bag n files on the side table n opened the widow widely, letting the sunlight n fresh air enter the isolated room.

"Right, then u should leave me soon... My friends must be waiting for me for months." He said with a bit sad tone as he's hell bored sitting alone in his room all day long. He's occasional visitors consist of his nurse, ward boy, cleaner, a few doctors, n his mom a few times.

"Surely I'm willing to let u go soon but before that, we need to make sure ur wounds r healed completely to avoid any chance of further damage. ...And the good news is This handsome boy is recovering at the jet speed n more possibly u would heal by the next week." I broke the news.

"Really?" He is surprised.

"Really! But u should take ur food properly for u to heal speedily. I heard that u denied eating broccoli n soybeans." I faked anger in my face.

"Umm... Sorry... But those taste awful... Yuccckk" he made faces.

"Okay...but then also u should try eating them for increasing ur immunity to fight against germs n become a strong boy.
I'll tell them to change the recipe to make it tastier for u" I suggest.

"great... And this series of books r wonderful... I loved it. But..." he trailed.

"But?"

"But... it got finished in three days... this the last book of the series n will get over today only. then I'd be bored" He voiced.

"Fine... I'll get u more of this kind tomorrow. Happy?" I chuckled seeing his faces. Cute boy!

"Super happy!" he laughed.

"Ok, I'll go n give instructions to change ur food to tastier. ...U continue" I said n walked out to find his nurse n instruct them accordingly.

While inside the room, Rahul looked back at his book. He's lonely here as his single mother worked day n night to make money for his treatment. And his favorite n cheerful doctor, Nandini, brought him books to pass his alone time... They used to spend some time together happily making Rahul more bright in spite of the distress of loneliness n pain of treatment.