20. Sorry!!!

Inaya's POV

After I saw Nandu taking crying Ishita with her to the room, I turned to everyone and introduced Jeff.

Actually, I have no idea why Ishita is crying. She used to happy go around and cheerful after everything.

"That girl?" Aunty asked pointing to the room.

"She is Ishita... Ishita Aggarwal." Jeff answered

I know there r many more question n puzzles going on in their minds, seeing their confused faces...I think it's better to clear up everything before they get into conclusions...

"Nandini is her legal guardian"

They left a wave of relief and happiness in Manik's heart. It's not that he doesn't like that little girl, but somewhere he doesn't want Nandini to have some past...

This also halted the rushing doubts forming in the head of all family members. They told their guest, Jeff, to take a seat as they r standing for a time being... and all settled down at the sofas.

"We don't know about it?" Mukti asked after a silence.

"Ya! actually, Nandu's parents too don't know about this. They wanted her to give Ishita in care of Orphanage, but her condition that time was not permeable to do such." I explained.

"What condition?" Manik asked. I had seen his changing expression ever since I came here... There is a lot going I between this husband-wife, I could say by their timely expressions and stealthy glances.

Before I could answer, all turned their head and I followed to see Nandu descending. She took her seat beside me and looked at others.

"I'm sorry, I never told u about her. ... I thought I'll tell whenever I'll get a chance but not thought it would be like this." She tried to explain. She looked at me knowing that I would have said something already.

"Actually, I meet Ishita two years back, when I was working as a junior doctor. Back then, I happened to meet her mother who got admitted due to fainting in the supermarket all of a sudden. her case was not just normal, even though it seems to.  Her body was weak as if she is malnutrition, many scars on her skin, after diagnosis, it is found that she had cracks in her bone too, and moreover, she was ... ... It was a case of sexual and domestic assault.  But before we could treat her, she ran away as soon as she gained conscious.

Then after a few days, suddenly she got admitted to an accident case. Her body was already so damaged that it couldn't take any more accidents on it. While taking her last breath she told about her daughter and to save her, giving her address.

I just couldn't hold myself from visiting her home once to check on her daughter, since none came to take her dead body. When I reached her house in a Chaul(Slum), I was shocked to see. Her husband in a completely drunken state with a belt on his hand, beating a small girl of 4, who was crying continuously and even bleeding.

I took Ishu with me and got her father arrested... At that time, I used to reside in the hospital hostel, where they won't allow any outsider to stay. But Ishu was that time very much broken, both physically and emotionally. So, I moved out and stayed with Inaya. I talked with my mom-dad too, but they said that I won't be able to take care of a child in spite of my work pressure and I should leave her in an orphanage for good. They r right though. But, Ishu's condition was not at all good. She doesn't use to eat properly nor sleep properly. She missed her mom like hell and her haunting nightmares. Every time she just used to cry and cry... I couldn't have the heart to give up on her and pull my hands back from her just to free of my responsibilities. So, I decided to keep her at least until she heals. In this, Inaya too helped me a lot in spite of the fact that she hat her cries and rants while her beauty sleep. And Jeff too helped her cure as she is pediatrics and is very good with kids.