Chapter 19.

Chapter 19

I felt like all my bones were broken but miraculously, they weren't. I crawled my way up to my feet, my vision still blurry and slowly started limping towards my bag.

I picked it up and grabbed my sunglasses, quickly putting it on so the smoke wouldn't burn my eyes. Suddenly a hand grabbed my shoulder and I elbowed them into the stomach.
I turned around and Jay was there, bent over and groaning.

"It-It's just m-me, Priya," he said through many breaths.
"Sorry, I panicked."
"We have to go. It's not safe here. It'll be no time before monsters start attacking us. Be alert."
I tapped my bracelet and my sword appeared. Of course I had to be on alert. We were in the place from my visions. We walked quietly but quickly along a river not knowing where we were going, but knowing enough so that we wouldn't stay there. A river? The water evaporated off of the surface yet the river was still filled.
We continued walking for hours in the heat, not knowing where Will and Edward were. Almost all of our water was finished.
"Priya, we have to stop. We'll die if we continue."
"I agree."
We stopped and rested for a while. We rested in between some rocks, both of us staring at the skeletons on the ground.

Jay was tired and I knew he was pushing himself more than he should've. But we knew we couldn't sleep. Jay's eyes started to close and he just fell over on top of his bag. I moved over to him hurriedly.
"Jay?" I shifted him so his head was on my lap.
"Jay!" I said, my voice breaking.
His head was hot and he looked unresponsive.
I grabbed my bag and got my water bottle. My last bit of water. I poured it onto his forehead and hair hoping that the water will cool him down.

"Please wake up. Jay, I'm not giving up on you. I'm not ready to give up on us." I tried to channel the water from the river but I couldn't. Why couldn't I? I used my all my strength, silently praying to Poseidon to help me, but nothing happened. Maybe he could t hear me from down here...
Or maybe that's not water.

I kept his head on my lap, one hand in his hair and the other on his cheek. I looked up to avoid staring at his helpless face. Then his mouth parted and a deep dark voice, one that wasn't his, came out of his mouth. I recognised that voice from my dreams, but I refused to believe it.

"Priya Campbell, daughter of Poseidon. You have finally reached your destination. I offer you two options: Come to me and your boyfriend shall be safe OR exit Tatarus on your own while he is dying." The voice cut off completely before I could even reply.

Jay groaned while he tried to sit up. He opened his eyes. Again, his eyes were amber but unlike last time, it didn't faded.

"Jay?" I asked sceptically.
"Yeah it's me. What happened?"
"You..uh.. fainted," I replied. I couldn't tell him what the voice had said. I had to make a choice. Preferably one that got both of us out alive.
"It's alright. Let's keep moving. The sooner we get out of here, the sooner we can return to camp."

We got up and I helped him to walk until he got back his balance. After a few hours of walking, I saw a light. It seems like it was coming from outside, from above. Are we getting closer to the exit to go back on the surface of Earth? I showed Jay, who did not look like he could keep going, but together we ran towards the exit, but our path was blocked by monsters. A lot of monsters.

They just jumped out at us. I fired my arrows taking the offense while Jay went all defensive to stop them from attacking us. Just like we practiced at camp, and we knew what to do. He actually looked lively, now that he was fighting. But we couldn't defeat all of them. There were monsters than I could count surrounding and cornering us, on ground, and in the air, circling about us. Jay and I looked at each other, defeat showing in our faces.

"I'm sorry, Priya. For everything," Jay said.
" No Jay. I'm sorry," I replied.

"Priya Campbell, have you made your decision?" the voice boomed through the air.
Jay looked at me with confusion. " What are they talking about?" He asked.
"I'll never listen to you! " I shouted back.
" Then you leave me no choice. I shall do this the hard way," the voice replied.

I looked at Jay with a scared expression, unsure what will happen to him. I did what I had to do to make sure he was safe.
I closed my eyes and the monsters charged at us, roaring.