The Storm pt 1

Hiccup

   For hours on end, my father and I teamed up to storm proof Berk. Sand bags were becoming limited, trenches stretched across the island, and animals were moved into the barns. 

"Spitelout!! You go find Bucket!! I have a bone to pick with him." the cheif commands. 

   Confused, I ask, "What did Bucket do?"

"He didn't tell me that his bucket has been hurting him and now we're scrambling to get ready for a storm we never saw coming!!" he exclaims. 

   I took a moment to think. Usually Bucket's screams would echo throughout  Berk a few days before the storm came into view. In this case, not a single peep was heard from Bucket. In fact, I hadn't seen him nor Mulch for days. 

"Hey dad?" my question was dripping with worry. 

   Not looking up from the trench we were digging, he asks, " What is it son?"

"When was the last time you saw Bucket and Mulch?" 

"Last I saw them, they were unloading their day's catch at the Great Hall." he states, missing the point. 

    I sigh, " When was that?"

   He finally looks up from his work and takes the moment to think, "A couple days ago. I haven't seen them since." 

"Exactly! What if something happened to them?"

"Cheif!!" Spitelout shouts, "There's no sign of Bucket. Doesn't look like he's been home for a while."

   The cheif growls in frustration, "Oh for Thor's sake!!" 

"Dad, why don't the riders and I go looking for them? Have the A Team and the Little Warriors help with preparations." I suggest. 

"Fine, but I don't want any of you going into that storm. I don't have a good feeling about it."

"You got it!" I say as I'm mounting Toothless as the others follow suit.

   All except Astrid of course who was probably still working hard with planning for our wedding. I hope Oliver doesn't stress her out while I'm gone. I've been attached at the hip with her ever since I came back and now when I'm not with her, I feel uneasy. 

   I could tell that she worked herself into the ground while I was gone. Trying to stay on top of her chores, do mine, lead the Dragon Riders in my absence, and watch over Toothless. I put way too much responsibility on her without thinking about the affects the responsibility would take on her.    

"We need to patrol the island and surrounding sea stacks!" I yell over the howling wind, "Fishlegs, you take the south side of the island. Heather goes to the east, Ruff, Tuff you're in charge of the west, and Snotlout you take care of the north side."

"Where are you going?" Snotlout was always one to question my decisions out of spite, causing me to be surprised when the question came from Fishlegs. 

"Toothless and I are going to search further to the north. Something tells me that the storm has something to do with their disappearance." 

   Snotlout rolls his eyes, "Leave it to Hiccup to fly straight into the storm his father told him to stay away from."

   My eyebrows scrunch with a frown, I was confused and taken back by the statement. They all knew that I never listened to my father. So why did it matter now? Why were they questioning me so much?

"If the Cheif told Astrid to stay away from the storm then she would." Tuff chimed in. 

"Right, that's because that's who Astrid is. Out of respect to the Cheif she always follows orders. That also has to do with her family's military lifestyle." I was extremely confused. What did Astrid have to do with this?

   Heather gave me an apologetic smile, "Why don't you wait for us and we can all go into the storm together?" 

   They had all ignored what I said, which was frustrating. They had never done this before, it was infuriating to say the least.

"No!" I say sternly, earning surprised reactions, "You will all patrol to the north, east, south, and west while I go into the storm. Once you are done with your patrols you will meet me within the storm either telling me what you have found or joining the search. "

   Everyone flew off in their assigned direction sans Snotlout who remained to have the last word. "Wow Hiccup, I never took you for a commanding leader."

   As soon as he said it, I knew those words would haunt me in my sleep. I wasn't meaning to be a commanding leader. The frustration and intensity of the moment ran my patience thin. That's something I would definitely have to change. 

***  

   After hours of searching within the storm we finally came across a wrecked fishing boat. 

"Let's land on the rocks there and we'll search the boat together." I was sure they would agree to this because they all wanted to go through the storm together. 

"Shouldn't a few of us go in and the others cover us just in case it's a trap?" Surprised consumed me once again as the question came from Fishlegs' mouth. 

   Before I can respond, Snoutlout seizes the oppertunity, "Yeah, the twins and I will search the boat while you three cover us." 

   Heather gigles, "I don't think that's such a good idea. The three of you become distracted way too easily." 

"Heather's right, Hiccup, Heather, and I will search the boat while the three of you cover us." Fishlegs suggests. 

   They were having a conversation between themselves, like I wasn't even there. I didn't understand why they were acting like this, were they mad at me?

"Why don't Heather and the twins cover Fishlegs, Snotlout, and I. That way those that get distracted easily are separated."

   They all quieted for a second, considering the plan. Before I could receive an answer there was a high pitched scream.