Would You??

Astrid

   Within the hour Hiccup and Snotlout don't have shirts on, Tuff set his pants on fire, my hair is completely down, Ruff has her head inside Barf's mouth, Heather is drunk, and Fishlegs is spilling all of his life's secrets.

   Eventually, everyone clumsily walked home, leaving me with Hiccup....a very shirtless Hiccup. 

"Astrid?" Hiccup asks, snapping me back to reality.

"Oh, uh..yeah?" I must have been thinking a little too much about Hiccup being shirtless.

   He chuckles, "You must be tired."

"Maybe, but I don't really feel like going home." I say, thinking about all the questions my parents will ask.

   He shakes his head and chuckles at the ground...

He's really got to stop doing that.

"Yeah, I think I know why." he says, "You did really well today by the way. You work really well with the little warriors. They really look up to you and they're responding really well to the training.  "

"Thank you. They're good kids, really driven, and disciplined. The future of Berk is in good hands." 

"You work really well with them." Even though he said this as a compliment, it set something inside me aflame. 

"Yeah, well I've had quite a bit of time to work with them." 

   His tone hardens, "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh please, Hiccup. I know you're not that stupid."

"I apologized to you, Astrid. I was selfish and didn't think about the toll that my actions would take on you. I was unfair to you. You didn't deserve that and I'm so so sorry."

"Hiccup, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about you. You leave for five years and you come back a whole different person!"

"I grew up, and so did you. Your personality didn't change, but your looks have. The difference between you and me is that you know who you are, you always have. Me...I'm still looking."  

   For the first time since he was 15, I saw self-doubt flicker in Hiccup's eyes. It turns out, deep down Hiccup was still the Hiccup I knew. I need to stop focusing on all the negative and start focusing on the positive.

"Hiccup, you've grown into such an amazing person and an even better leader." 

   He smiles softly, "Thank you, Astrid. I know all this change has been hard on you"

   I step closer to Hiccup, " You're an amazing guy."

"Astrid, if given the chance, would you want to lead along side me?"