My Choice

Astrid
   The Little Warrior training went by quickly. It was finally time to head over to Hiccup's.

   I was walking from the arena to Hiccup's hut accompanied by two of my students.

"Where are you headed Astrid?" Zenyata asked teasingly.

"I'm sure you already have a good idea." I reply, trying to keep the heat in my cheeks from rising.

"What about dinner? Are you guys not going to eat?" Glacierous asks.

"Of course you're worried about food!!" Zenyata exclaims, hitting the back of Gacierous' head.

"We are actually going to eat together in his hut while we go over our cuort."

"Are you nervous?" They both ask in unison.

   I took a few seconds to reply, the fluttering in my stomache insisted that I was, but my heart was convicted that I was excited.

"I'm not really sure." I couldn't come up with anything else to say.

"I get that, when you're around someone you like, it's hard to know if you're nervous, excited, or just confused. It makes it pretty scary." Glacierous explains.

   Zenyata was nodding in agreement, before the realization hit her. She lunged at Glacierous and playfully demanded him to tell her who he likes.

The answer was obvious.

   I continue walking, leaving the two teens to wrestle out their emotions. While walking up to Hiccup's hut I heard two voices, one was his, and the other belonged to the Cheif.

   I decided to wait outside until the conversation was over. However, I could tell they were arguing, and I automatically wanted to walk in at Hiccup's defense.

   There was no need to though, he didn't need help with that when we're were teens, and he definitely didn't need my help now. So I just sat and listened.

"I don't understand why you're making this so hard on yourself!" Stoick exclaims.

"The only one making this hard is you. I understand that I went to school to become cheif one day, but you're still perfectly healthy! I don't see a need for me to take the reins!" Hiccup may have changed over the years, but he was still reluctant about taking over.

"It's my choice son!"

"Shouldn't I have a say in this too?!? Shouldn't the people have a say in this!?! This doesn't just affect you!!"

"You have what it takes to lead Berk! The better the leader you are, the more respect you earn!" Stoick was tired and wanted to see his son make him proud.

"I understand that!! I just-" He sighed deeply, "I don't know dad. It just doesn't feel right. I'll never be like you. "

"Son, you're more like me than you think you are." At that Stoick took his leave.

   Panicked, I tried to find a place to hide, but I wasn't fast enough.

"Oh, sorry lassie." He wasn't suprised I was there.

   I couldn't conjure up any words, so I just smiled at him while he passed.

"Hey Astrid." Hiccup exhaustedly greets. "Uhh, I just-"

   I cut him off, "Let's go for a flight."

"That would be great." He says with an apologetic smile.

   The flight was long and quiet. I wanted you let Hiccup sort out his thoughts before we spoke.

   We returned to his hut, where there was food waiting and a fire set.

"I'm sorry you had to listen to that Astrid." He says as he dismounts.

"If you ask me, that's an amazing honor."

   He sighs, " It's just not me."

"Hiccup, you're smart, your strong, you're determined, and you have support. Not only from me, but from the other riders."

   He stayed silent, looking down at his boots hoping the moment would end.

   I walked in front of him, crouched into his line of veiw, and guided his chin back up. "Its ok. We can do this together. You never have to do anything alone."

   He laced his arms around my waist and pulled me against him. Automatically I wrapped my my arms around his neck and played with his tousled auburn hair. The moment was perfectly sealed with a kiss, a gentle yet strong kiss.

   We ate dinner and talked about the cuort as planned. By the time everything was sorted out, it was late, but I didn't want to leave. So we talked for a while by the fire; about everything and nothing at the same time.

   The conversation bounced from dragons, to the riders, to the Litter Warriors, and the flowers now blooming in the forest.

   The sky was starting to get light again and I knew I needed to get home. Yet, I still didn't want to go.

   Hiccup knew it, he seemed to always know what was going on in my head. So he told stories about war he had learned at the Academy.

   War stories were my weakness, they made me fall asleep right away and dream about the amazing acts of bravery it took to save their people.

   I fell asleep leaning on Hiccup's shoulder, surrounded by his warmth and the heat radiating off of the fire.