Cheiftess

Astrid

"Astrid, if given the chance, would you want to lead along side me?" Hiccup asks.

At first the words take a second to process, but even when they do I'm still flabbergasted by the question.

Did he really just ask me to be his cheiftess?!?

Did I hear him right??

"What!?!" I whisper yell the words, mostly to myself.

"Given the chance, would you lead along side me?" He repeats, calm, and patient.

By this point I'm in full denial. He's been drinking, but he hasn't. It's late at night, but he doesn't show the least bit of exhaustion. He's reacting off of stress, but he's calm.

"Astrid, I don't need an answer by tonight or tomorrow. I'll give you some time to think about it. It's a big decision and a lot of responsibility." He ducks his head in slight embarrssment, "I would like an answer soon though. This is something I've given a lot of thought about and I couldn't be more sure."

I exhale, "Hiccup"

He takes a step closer and puts his hands around my waist, as if trying to hold me steady from all my swaying thoughts.

I can feel the heat radiating off of him and it's then that I notice the tattoos and the scars on his skin. As well as how strangely well they suit him. Thus cuasing my cheeks to flush red.

He smirks, "I'm making you uncomfortable aren't I?"

I instinctively bring my hands to his wrists and slide up to his shoulders, transitioning to his chest, and sliding down his abs. There were slashes, old burn scars, stab wounds, and tattoos licking around the front of him from his back.

Please don't be drooling Please don't be drooling Please don't be drooling

He released a shuttering breath as his smooth skin covered in thousands of tiny little bumps as my hands slid across his skin.

My hands slide down his defined V line, but as they hit the top of his pants, my breath hitched, and I could feel his breath on me, making me shutter after every exhale.

I'm not going any further.

We both knew it. It was inappropriate for me to. So we didn't. No rules broken. No expectations lowered.

Hiccup's hands stayed patiently resting on my waist, as if not wanting to spook the wandering girl. He let his eyes follow the movements of my hands until they came up higher, and he'd then rest his eyes on my face.

There was not a single sound in all of the hut, the dragons were dead asleep. It was just the shuttering breaths of the two unexperienced young adults.

I knew I was shaking like crazy, my nerves and anxiety going haywire. It was almost too much to handle.

My hands came to rest on his jaw and I would've fallen from my knees buckling as he leaned in and kissed me, if it weren't for his sturdy hands on my waist.

The kiss was long, passionate, and increasingly hungry. It lasted until we were out of breath and lingered in the air until I remembered that I had a big decision to make.

I made a big conclusion that night though. I can see myself building a life with one Hiccup Horrindous Haddock III.

***

Hiccup

The next morning I was really hoping I didn't scare Astrid to where shed avoid me at all costs. Luckily she didn't, but she also didn't adress it at all which caused me to worry more.

Does she even remember??

Did she drink that much??

We got through our daily chores and it was lunch time. Which means it would be my last chance to talk to Astrid before she goes and works with the Little Warriors.

Much to my surprise, she comes up to me first, "Hiccup, I've made my decision."

I blink in surprise. I thought it would've taken at least a day or two for her to come to a decision, not half a day. On the contrary, Astrid is great at assessing a situation. Which is why I would also want her to be my general.

" I will lead along side you, but I have conditions." She was serious, it was clear she gave this some thought.

My brows furrow in confusion, "Ok. What conditions?"

" We will lead Berk together, as a team. I will not be here just for show or domestic responsibilities. " She pauses, waiting for my word.

"That's exactly what I had in mind. Nothing less." I reassure, " My father put so much pressure on me to find a cheiftess, but it was because he did it all alone. I watched him loose immense amounts of sleep, work countless hours, and give his all for the people of Berk. He was continuously tired, stressed, and...sad. In every fathering or cheif decision he made, I could see the loneliness. He wished he didn't have to make that decision alone."

She exhales in relief, "Good. I didn't think that one would be much of a problem, but it's still reassuring to hear that. I'm also sorry that your dad had to go through that and that you had to watch that growing up."

I shrugged my shoulders, "It taught me what it really was to be strong, determined, loyal, a good cheif, and one day a good father."

I couldn't recall exactly what I just said that would make Astrid blush, but she did.

"What else?" I ask, bringing back the focus of the conversation.

"Second condition, I still get to work with the Little Warriors AND I still get to be a warrior of Berk."

I had already made plans for that, wheather I said 'yes' or 'no', Astrid will be Astrid. There's nothing anyone could do to stop her from fighting.

I couldn't help the chuckle escaping my lips, "Yes of course, I was counting on you saying that actually, and it will come up in a future day."

"Good." She exhales with with a curt nod, " Third condition, we take things slow. Between us I mean. I don't want to rush into a wedding or anything. Maybe even wait a bit for the betrothal...I don't know...."

I step forward putting my hands on both sides of her shoulders and lowering my head a bit, cuasing her to look me in the eyes, "Take a deep breath. I don't want to spring anything on you at all. I was going to ask you if you wanted me to tell my dad if we could still go through the courting system. Or we could go by our own terms. I want things to be as natural as possible."

The courting system consisted of slowly introducing shared responsibilities, one romantic gesture a week, dinner with the heir and cheif once a week, introduced together at all social events, and together they choose the leading court.

"I think the courting system would be a good way to go. If we come across anything that we'd want to add our own conditions to then we'll do it." That was the most confident I've seen her act since last night.

This is going to be an interesting adventure.