Chapter 39: The Phantom Apprentice

Start from the beginning

"Why?" Darrel and Ahsoka asked.

"Because Count Dooku is dead! Anakin Killed him awhile rescuing the Chancellor!" Obi-Wan revealed. "When Dooku gone, we've lost a vital link to understanding the mystery of Darth Sidious! If you can capture Maul, he may be able to provide the missing pieces to this puzzle!"

"Send us more men!" Ahsoka asked.

"Unfortunately, I can not. I'm being sent to hunt down General Grievous on Utapau!" Obi-Wan answered.

"Maybe Anakin?" Darrel asked.

"Maybe he can reinforce us?" Ahsoka asked.

Obi-Wan sighed.

"May I speak with Ahsoka and Darrel alone?" Obi-Wan asked.

Bo-Katan and Captain agree and leave the palace.

"Anakin is on a special assignment, by order of the Jedi Council!" Obi-Wan said.

Ahsoka and Darrel had concerned looks on their faces.

"What kind of assignment?" Ahsoka asked.

"He has been instructed to observe the Chancellor and report his findings!" Obi-Wan said.

"Obverse? you mean spy!" Ahsoka said.

"That's treason!" Darrel said.

"They told him to spy on the Supreme Chancellor? Why?" Ahsoka asked.

"The Senate has look at the Supreme Chancellor to remain in office long after his term has expired!" Obi-Wan reported. "The Council wants to know what his true intentions are!"

"The Chancellor has been a great friend and mentor to Anakin! We can't imagine he's happy about this!" Ahsoka said.

"No, he's not! So perhaps it's best that you two speak with him!"

"And what?" Ahsoka asked.

"Defend the Council's actions?" Darrel asked.

"I hardly think we are the best people for that!" Ahsoka added.

"Ahsoka, Darrel, The Council isn't always right. That's why I'm asking for your help!" Obi-Wan said.

Before they can say any more, Rex rushes in, saying there has been another attack. Obi-Wan tells Ahsoka and Darrel that it is best that they goes. Before leaving, Ahsoka looks back at Obi-Wan's hologram.

"Tell Anakin..." Ahsoka said.

"I will!" Obi-Wan said.

Ahsoka, Darrel, and Rex return to the Undercity, where several clone troopers have been killed. A clone trooper explains that they got ambushed on their way to reinforce the entry port on C-deck.

"Rex, make sure C-Deck is properly fortified!" Ahsoka ordered.

"Yes ma'am!" Rex said as he left.

Ahsoka and Darrel then attends to a wounded trooper.

"Commander! General!" He said.

"We're here, trooper. Sterling, isn't it?" Darrel said.

"Yes. You need to know. Maul, he— he went right through us, one by one. He was asking about you two! The ARC Trooper, Jesse. Maul realized he was older, somehow, looked in his mind! And he took him! He took Jesse alive!" Sterling said.