Chapter 28: The Test of Strength

Ancient Jedi tradition! Six younglings are sent to the secret caverns of Ilum, where they are tested by The Gathering, an ancient Jedi ritual where each youngling must harvest a crystal, around which they will construct their own lightsaber. Along the journey, they underwent great perils, hardest of which was to face themselves. Now, having passed the test, they take their first step into a larger world.

On their way back to Coruscant, Ahsoka was in in the cockpit talking to Anakin and Mace Windu via hologram.

"The excursion was a huge success for the younglings." Ahsoka said.

"That is excellent news, Ahsoka." Anakin said.

"You have well, Padawan Tano." Mace said. "You as well, Padawan Pullie."

Ahsoka turned around to see Darrel enter the cockpit, she smiled and turned back around.

"We should be heading to Coruscant soon, Master." Ahsoka said.

"Very well, contact us when you arrive." Mace said.

Ahsoka and Darrel smiled as the hologram images disappeared.

"How are the younglings doing?" Ahsoka asked.

"Well they're training with the training drones right now, they're all very skilled. They'll make brilliant Jedi Knights in the future." Darrel said.

"Indeed." Ahsoka replied. "Now lets go check on the younglings."

As Ahsoka and Darrel enteted the training room where the younglings were watching Petro showing off his skill as he was wearing a training helmet. He deflected some small bolts from a training drone with a training stick. The younglings had impressed looks on their faces, even the Padawans, as Petro spun around and knocked the drone to the floor. He took off his helmet and smiled at everybody.

"I call that move the Whirlwind of Destiny." Petro said.

"Showoff." Zatt scoffed.

Ahsoka and Darrel approached the younglings and gave a short round of applause to Petro.

"Can everyone gather around, please?" Ahsoka asked.

The younglings nodded and followed the Padawans to a table.

"You have all successfully passed The Gathering and harvested your crystals." Darrel said.

"So when do we start to build our sabers?" Petro asked.

"Place your crystals on the table. Your lesson begins now." Ahsoka said.

The younglings took out their crystals and placed them on the table.

"May I introduce you to architect and lightsaber designer, Huyang."

Then, a Mark IV Architect Droid professor stepped out of the shadows and approached the younglings at the table. It was Huyang.

"I swear these younglings get younger every expedition." Huyang said. "All have passed The Gathering?"

"Yes, sir." Ahsoka answered.

"Are you sure?" Huyang asked.

"But he's a droid. You expect us to learn from a droid?" Ganodi asked.

"Ganodi, that was unnecessary." Darrel said.

Huyang looked at Ganodi and shook his head.

"Many years I have been on this ship, teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks, I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made and the Jedi who fashioned them." Huyang said.