Chapter 39: The Phantom Apprentice

In the Undercity of Sundari, Ahsoka and Darrel are surrounded by Mandalorian super commandos as Maul steps from the shadows.

"Ahsoka Tano, is it?" Maul asked as he looked at Ahsoka, then he looked over to Darrel. "And you're Kenobi's new foal, Jedi Knight Darrel Pullie, am I correct?"

Darrel nodded and glared directly at Maul.

"I can't say your names are familiar to me!" Maul said.

Maul slowly approached Ahsoka and Darrel and circled them.

"Well, we know you!" Ahsoka said.

"Yes, I imagine we have several mutual friends!" Maul replied.

"I wouldn't put it that way!" Ahsoka said with a defensive tone.

"Of course not! But I'm afraid your way of thinking is behind the times!" Maul said.

Ahsoka activates a beacon on her gauntlet, which alerts Rex and his squad to her location, and they enter the tunnels to trace her signal.

"I was certain that Kenobi would have come himself! Perhaps bring his loyal foal, Skywalker, is it?" Maul said.

"Master Kenobi had a more important engagement!" Darrel answered.

Then Maul stopped.

"Indeed! I wonder... The moment may be upon us!" Maul said.

Then Maul looked back at Ahsoka and Darrel.

"Why you? Why did Kenobi send you both?" Maul asked.

"Why don't you surrender, and then we can go and ask him!" Darrel recommended.

Maul chuckled.

"My surrendering, well, that would be pointless. For if I am correct, soon the Jedi and Republic will no longer be the controlling interest in the galaxy!" Maul replied.

"And who will be? You?" Ahsoka asked.

"No! Darth... Sidious!" Maul replied.

Then Rex and his troops enter, firing on the Mandalorians. Maul activated his lightsaber and the three briefly duel.

"Not yet!" Maul said.

Maul used the Force to throw Ahsoka, Darrel and Rex into the wall so he and his troops can escape. Ahsoka, Darrel and the clones pursue, but lose them in the tunnels.

In the throne room of the Sundari Royal Palace, Bo-Katan Kryze, Ahsoka, Darrel and Rex brief Obi-Wan Kenobi via hologram.

"There are a small number of firefights still happening in sector eleven. But for the most part, your clones has been effective as promised!" Bo-Katan said. "Still, without Maul in custody, this could all fight apart quickly! We must capture him before he escapes!"

"He mentioned a name, Darth Sidious!" Ahsoka reported.

Obi-Wan looked at Ahsoka and Darrel, then looked at Bo-Katan.

"Who is this Sidious?" Bo-Katan asked.

"I do not know much, but I will share with you what the Council suspects!" Obi-Wan said.

"We're all ears!" Darrel said.

"Darth Sidious is the one who orchestrated the Clone Wars and played both sides of it from the beginning!" Obi-Wan revealed. "I first learned the name from Count Dooku, though any chance of learning more from Dooku has been lost!"