~Bucky: Waltz (Part 2)~

Lmao

Word count: 4327

***

You were sprinting for Bucky's apartment, catching him just as he unlocked the door. 

"Bucky!" You called down the hall, your chest heaving as you slowed your pace. He looked at you and raised a finger to his mouth, signaling for you to be quiet. His eyes lingered on you for only a moment- the fear and sadness evident- before he silently reached for your hand, intertwining his fingers with yours. Opening the door without a sound, he brought you into the apartment with him, your heart dropping when you saw what, or rather who, was inside.

Steve Rogers stood with his back to the both of you, looking through the small journal Bucky would carry with him everywhere. Your hand gripped Bucky's, your mind racing with millions of questions.

If Steve is here, does that mean Bucky's in trouble? Has the government been informed of his location? Is he going to be arrested? Will you be arrested? What will Steve say about you lying to him about knowing where Bucky was? What will happen between you and Bucky?

So many questions with so many consequences, your pulse raced the more you thought.

"Understood." Steve spoke, most likely speaking into a comm set. He stared at the journal for a moment more before his head suddenly turned to the side, sensing the presence of other people. He turned fully, his expression unreadable. His eyes first landed on Bucky, looking him up and down. Then he looked at you, first with a confused stare, which quickly faded as he put the puzzle pieces together. His eyes flickered down to yours and Bucky's joined hands, nostrils flaring.

"You know me?" He asked Bucky, gaze meeting his. Bucky took a breath, keeping his face monotone.

"You're Steve." He said without emotion, "I read about you in a museum." He broke eye contact, looking down at the journal that contained every memory he had ever shared with you. Flashes of the time the two of you had spent in the bakery zipped through his head, his heart splitting when he realized that his happy bubble of being normal had finally popped. It was only a waiting game, he knew. There was no world where the former Winter Soldier could live in peace with the perfect girl to keep him company. The universe had never been kind to him, why would this be an exception?

Steve placed the journal on the counter in front of him, taking a small step forward, "I know you're nervous, you have plenty of reason to be," he squared his shoulders, taking on a strong stance, "but you're lying." Bucky clenched his jaw. "Seems to be a common theme around here."

Your heart dropped at Steve's words, knowing he felt betrayed. You couldn't blame him, he had spent the last years putting all of his time and efforts into finding his long-lost best friend, and you lied to his face about it. He was angry, and he had every right to be. Knowing you had broken his trust completely is what hurt the most.

"I wasn't in Vienna, I don't do that anymore." Bucky took the attention away from you, giving your hand a microscopic squeeze. Steve's gaze flickered towards the window and he took a few steps forward. 

"Well, the people who think you did are coming here now," he paused, "and they're not planning on taking you alive."

"That's smart. Good strategy."

You could feel your heart pound in your chest, knowing what was about to ensue. You were completely unprepared for any fight- completely unarmed. You didn't even have a moment to ponder Bucky's words, how completely broken he sounded when he spoke them, what kind of underlying meaning was held within them. All you could focus on was how tense Bucky got as footsteps echoed through the ceiling, his hand dropping yours as he took on a defensive stance.