□■ Bucky : Broken Heart (Part 2) ■□

Once again, this is part two to Broken Hand

May God have mercy on your soul
□■□■□■□■□

It was an endless cycle. He would come every morning at seven o'clock sharp, sit by your bedside until two, head off to work down by the docks, then come right back after his shift at eight. They wouldn't make him leave until eleven, far past visiting hours.

Tonight was no different. It was five past eight, and in came the man himself, work clothes changed for a cleaner alternative, a fresh ace bandage wrapped messily around his left hand.

"Um, Barnes here for (Y/L/N)." He said timidly to the man behind the front desk.

"Of course, come with me." The man replied softly. In all honesty, the entirety of the small hospital staff knew exactly where Bucky wanted to go, but opted to protect his feelings and let him ask.

"Thank you, sir." Bucky nodded, smiling tightly. The man smiled and walked away. James took a chair and carried it to your bedside, then sat down and took your hand.

"Hey doll." He whispered. "How're you doin' today?" A small smile tugged at his lips as his thumb drew circles in your knuckles. "I was talkin' to Steve earlier, he was tellin' me 'bout how he wants to come see ya, but I won't let him. Not if I'm here. I'm always cryin' here. That would be too much for him, don't ya think?"

He sniffled and wiped away a stray tear.

"God, I jus' want to look at those eyes of yours, doll. I jus' wanta see them again. Please wake up here real soon. I don't know how much longer I can take." He left a soft kiss on your knuckles, letting his lips linger there for a moment.

"I love you so much. I want you to know that."

And that was how every night went. He would come and talk to you for two hours before heading home. It was a sad reality, how lost he truly was without you.

He was called one night during his shift.

"Hey, Barnes!" His good friend, Mr. Jim Thomas, called.

"What is it, Jim?" Bucky called back.

"They say your girl woke up. That mean anything to you?" Jim said, motioning to the phone in his hand. "James? You okay?"

Bucky's eyes glazed over, and he stood with his mouth open for a second, unable to process such news.

Then he came to his senses, ripping off his work hat and tearing down the docks and onto the streets. His chest heaved as he ran down the sidewalk towards the hospital, but he pushed his burning legs to go faster. He had to see you. He had to get to you.

He skid to a stop and burst through the hospital doors, causing quite a scene.

"(Y-Y/N). She's awake. They called an' said she was awake, now." He sputtered, twisting his cap in his hands.

"Go on back." The nurse, the same one from his first day at the hospital, said, pointing over her shoulder. He began to walk down the halls in long, quickened strides, his knuckles white around his hat.

Your room came into view, and he quickly walked into it. A doctor was talking to you, his spectacles pushed down the bridge of his nose. You were sitting and smiling up at him, that dazzling smile Bucky loved so much.

"(Y/N)?" Bucky said nervously, making the talking cease as you turned towards him.

"Hey James." You smiled again. Bucky sighed in releif.

"Look, doll, I'm so, so sorry-"

"Sorry about what? Don't be silly, you haven't done anything wrong."

James looked at the doctor, who motioned him outside the room. Bucky followed, anxiety eating away at his stomach.

"She's lost about a year." The doctor explained. "She knows she has amnesia, we've already told her. But she doesn't remember the accident."

"Okay." James nodded, chewing on his bottom lip. "Can you just give us a sec?"

The doctor nodded and walked away. Bucky sighed heavily and walked back into your room, pulling the same chair he always used to it's spot next to your bed, where he sat for countless nights.

"Hey doll." He said softly, smiling.

"Hey." You replied.

"Whats... what's the last thing you remember?" He asked cautiously, taking your hand.

"Well, I remember Steve's birthday, where he was sick so we ate all the cake, and you got sick to your stomach." You explained, having already found your newest memory.

Bucky's smile faltered and his heart dropped. Steve had come up to him months after that birthday and told about your love for Bucky. Of course, James never beleive it and pushed it aside.

Now you were the one that forgot about it.

"Bucky, are you okay?" You asked, seeing his smile fade.

"It's just that..." He inhaled deeply. "You won't beleive me."

"Just spit it out, you goof."

"Well, sweetheart, I... I love you." He didn't dare look at your eyes. "And you loved me too, before this happened. And it's all my fault, and now I've gone and ruined it all." He put his head in his hands and let out a sob.

"James." You comforted. "James, please look at me."

He lifted his red rimmed eyes, still blue as ever, to yours.

"It's true I can't remember the past year. And it's true I don't remember fallin' in love with you. But, you know, we always make new memories." You smiled warmly at him. "Make me fall for you again, James."

He smiled and wrapped his arms around you, engulfing you in the Barnes bear huh you loved so much.

"Don't you worry, doll," He whispered, "I've got a talent for making beautiful women love me."