Halloween

You slipped the black, lacy mask over your eyes, masking your identity. Your strapless dress flowed around your body, the white fabric covered in black spiderweb lace. You had black gloves up to your elbows, with pearl braclet over them. Bright red lipstick was painted on your lips.

You looked pretty good.

Your phone beeped, and you pulled it out of the belt of your dress. It had a text from Nat.

The boys are here ;)

You smiled, knowing exactly what she meant. You put your phone away and walked out of the bathroom, out into the ballroom.

It was a masquerade ball for Halloween, hence the spiderweb lace on your dress. Tony was a co-host, so all of the Avengers were coming.

You looked over the balcony at all of the guests below. The hall was mostly a creme color, the colors of the red, purple, black, and white dresses and suits contrasting brightly. You slowly descended the curved staircase, spotting Nat in her tight, red dress.

She looked back at you and smiled, tipping her head towards the entrance. You looked to the doors and gasped slightly.

Steve and Bucky were standing there, Steve in a black tuxedo with a red bowtie and a white mask, bucky in a black suit with a black tie and the same white mask as Steve.

Steve smiled and walked to Nat, whose dress (coincidentally) matched his bowtie. Bucky looked around and spotted you walking down the staircase, smiling at you. You smiled back and reached the bottom, making your way over to him.

You broke through the crowd and saw Bucky. He walked to you and put out his hand, smiling widely.

"May I have this dance?" He asked.

"You may." You replied and took his hand in yours. He led you onto the floor and pulled you close, keeping one hand in yours and the other on your waist. You rested your free hand on his shoulder.

"You look beautiful." He said.

"You don't look too bad yourself." You replied, truthfully. He had his hair cut and slicked back, and he smelled strongly of pine.

You swayed and talked for a while, laughing and smiling. Then, a voice broke through the music.

"I have an announcement." Tony's voice said. "One of my close friends, (Y/N), would like to say a few words."

You gave Bucky's metal hand a squeeze before walking up onto the stage.

"Good evening." You began. "I would just like to take a moment to remember someone we recently lost, Pierto Maximoff. I bet you all have heard of the recent battle overseas fought by the Avengers, and it was that battle he fell, sacrificing himself for a civilian and another Avenger. We have decided to use this ball as a memorial for this truly amazing man. We've all lost people out there," you looked at Bucky, "and some are lucky enough to live. We want to celebrate Pierto's life and thank him."

One person raised their champagne glass, followed by everyone else in the room. You took one off a tray behind you and raised it.

"To Pierto." You said. Everyone repeated it and took a sip, including you. You saw a few tears shed, and your eyes got teary as well.

You got off the stage as the orchestra continued their song, the violins and cellos filling the air.

You walked back to Bucky, who held out his arm for you. You took it and let him lead you somewhere, not really paying attention to where.

You came back to reality when the cool night air swept over your shoulders. The sky was painted with millions of stars, twinkling and flashing. You gasped at the pure beauty of it all.

"Isn't it extraordinary?" Bucky said softly.

"Yes." You replied. A silence filled the air.

"I'm sorry... about your friend."

"It's okay."

"I heard you two were..."

You smiled at him.

"Those are just rumors. We didn't know Pietro for more than a week, Bucky. It's tragic how little we a tally knew about him."

"...so you didn't like him?"

You rolled your eyes and chuckled.

"No, silly. Anyways, I like someone else."

"Oh." He said, and actually sounded disappointed.

"What should I do?"

"What?"

"How should I tell this man I love him?"

He thought for a moment before answering. "Pull him away and tell him."

"Okay." You took his shoulders and stepped back once to pull him further out onto the balcony. You cleared you throat before speaking.

"James Buchanan Barnes, I love you."

His eyes widened and a smile overtook his face. He hugged you closely and buried his face into your neck.

"I'll take this as a 'I love you too'?" You asked, making him laugh.

He pulled away and pecked your lips.

"I love you, too." He said softly. You smirked and pulled his lips to yours by his tie.

The two of you kissed under the moonlight.

And it was the beginning of something beautiful.