-37-

CHAPTER 37 | THE UNEXPECTED

Pyro's P.O.V.

Before I knew it,  my family and I were making our way up the path to the festival that Jesse's family was holding. It was being held somewhere deep in the forest, yet not too far from the packhouse.

I knew this was a large pack, but as I looked around, you would think a private concert was being held. From what I've been told, this was something this pack does every year for its members.

"Maybe we should have asked Jesse how many people would be attending," I whispered to myself as I glanced around at the others who were attending this festival, "I knew I should have stayed home and just ordered pizza and wings."

As we made it to the clearing, I could feel my jaw drop. There were dozens of people dancing around the massive bomb fire.

"I wasn't expecting this," I heard my mother whisper.

"Stay close," Ylva went on to whisper, "I didn't think there would be this many members attending."

"Don't worry about me," I gesture to her to go and do her own thing, "go find your boyfriend. I am sure he is looking for you too."

"I can't just leave you alone."

"Go find him," I told her in a more sterner tone as I made my way to an empty table, "You already know I'm not going to do much anyway, go and enjoy yourself."

"Are you sure?"

"Will you go already,"  I went on to say, "are you forgetting who I am, I think I can deal with my sister not being at my side for a few hours. Now go."

I watch as Ylva disappears into the crowd to look for her boyfriend. She is already doing more than she should. I don't want to be the reason they break up. This is the first person that Ylva took a real interest in, and talks about daily.

"That was nice of you," I turn to see my mother standing next to me, "she really does care about you."

"I know, but she can still have a life," I told her.

"And so can you," she said as she made her way back to my father.

I watched my family enjoy themselves while I kept an eye on everything. My sister danced with her boyfriend while my brothers ate like hogs. Our parents were in their little world as they slow dance. Everyone seems to be having a good time, which made me happy.

"Why are you sitting by yourself," I turn to see some guy sitting in the chair next to me, "you look lonely sitting by yourself."

From what I could tell, he was at least four years older than me. Like most of the male members within this pack, he had a muscular build. The only other thing I was sure about is that he was drunk.

"You know," he leans closer to me, "I'm the leader of the pack's northern patrol."

"Good for you," I could help but rolled my eyes, knowing where he was going with this, "leader of the pack's northern patrol, you should find someone who is interested."

"How can you not be interested?"

"How do packs like this survive," I couldn't help but wonder as I look at the other members, "with numbskulls like this protecting its borders."

"Do you know who I am?" he barked as he stood up.

"That's the point," I glance over at him, "I don't want to know who you are."

At that very moment, I don't know if his brain has malfunctioned, or this was his normal behavior. Guys like him always think that people should fall over them because of their looks or status. People like him only see others as their playthings until a new one comes along.