-44-

CHAPTER 44 | A RUN IN

Pyro's P.O.V.

I still can't believe that I was in his bed of all places, and nearly naked. The bed he sleeps in and does whatever else in it, I hope those sheets were clean ones.

How unconscious was I to not feel someone taking off my clothes?

Then only to see him alone with a towel on really put the icing on the cake. If only I woke up a few minutes earlier, I could have left without seeing him.

The school bell rang, bringing me out of my thoughts. I rub my ankle, which is still sore and healing from the trap—grabbing my things and heading into the crowded halls.

My mind was still replaying everything that happened as if I was on a merry-go-round, trapped in the same events. This will be the second time someone almost claimed me, the first being that damn rogue. Whenever I think I am in the clear and going to have some type of ordinary life, something happens.

"Maybe I should think about being claimed," I whispered out loud in mid-thought, "I wouldn't have to look over my shoulder or chase after."

If I am claimed, my father would be more at ease for once in his life. He has been keeping a close eye on me since the run-in with Tasha. Being claimed would be I would have protection from my mate, but Tasha would still be after me. The whole mate would be in the way and a good chase that she would kill him to hurt me.

"Pyro, wait up," yelled a familiar voice.

I quickly turn to see the smiling face of Tyler, jogging towards me.

"What's so important," I teased him as he leans against the wall, catching his breath.

"You didn't hear me shouting your name," he asked between breaths as he glances over at me with a raised eyebrow, "and how the hell do you walk so fast."

"Sorry," I couldn't help but let out a faint chuckle as we went into the boy's locker room, "my mind was busy thinking over things."

Tyler is probably the first human I ever got close to in my life. He's kind and smart, and I like being around him. Though there is nothing romantic between us, we just are naturally close. There are not too many werewolves who have friends that are human since we age differently than them.

"There you go zoning out again," he laughed as he changes into his gym clothes, "you know you can talk to me about anything."

"Yeah, I know," I lied, knowing I couldn't tell him the truth even if I wanted to. It's too risky for me, and for the rest of my kind, "it's nothing big, just some sibling rivalry going on."

"Oh, I can relate, it will pass," he said with a smile.

Yeah, but you don't have a cousin trying to kill you, I thought to myself. I just nodded, not wanting to continue with this conversation, knowing he can't relate to me.

"Well, let's head outside with everyone else," I told him as I finished putting on my shoes.

He nodded and led the way outside.

I always wonder why I enjoy running more at school than at home. Probably because I know no werewolves are trying to claim me or risk being caught by humans. Running at school is the only real-time I spend in nature.

On the other hand, Tyler was having trouble keeping up with me.

"You are not tired," he winced as he pointed behind him, "you ran five miles without taking any break, and you jogged in place while I took breaks."