Chapter Fifteen: Back on Home Rails

After what could be maybe a few months on Sodor, it was now time for the Josephine Railway engines to go back home. It was a bit saddening for the engines to say goodbye, but it wasn't goodbye for them all. More like 'see you later'.

At Knapford Station, Braedey and Diana were ready to go, with Austin, Max, Belle, and Liliana both on the well-wagons. They were ready for the off. Sir Topham and Mr. Franklin stood at the platform, the latter about to board the coach.

"We thank you for what you've done for my engines and my railway." Sir Topham said to Mr. Franklin, tipping his top hat to them.

"It was definitely an enjoyable time for us all, sir." Mr. Franklin smiled back. Then, he gave a salute. "Maybe we'll come over another day."

"Maybe another day or so, sir. But we have got a railway to go home to and take care of." Braedey reminded to his controller.

Mr. Franklin smiled, looking to the GWR 4900 engine. "Of course, Braedey. I get it." He laughed, then he gave a final salute to Sir Topham. "Hope to see you soon."

"Take care on your way home. The tracks are clear for you." Sir Topham said.

"Come back and see us soon." The NWR engines whistle to the Josephine Railway engines.

"And we hope to see you all very soon." The Josephine Railway engines replied back with smiles on their faces.

The engines then gave a chorus of whistles, the Josephine Railway engines whistling back, and they all began to make their way down the rails, heading off to Vicarstown Station. The NWR engines soon began to make their way back to work, while the Josephine engines headed off down the line.

~*~*~

Soon enough, Braedey and Diana made their way down to Vicarstown Station, the GWR 4900 locomotive and Caledonian engine both needing a small rest before they continue on with their journey. The two engines began to take on more water, before they head off for the mainland.

As they waited, the sound of a large steam locomotive approaching the station. As they looked over to the platforms, they see a large red locomotive pulling in, coming to a gentle stop with a hiss of steam from her pistons. The engine was none other than Anna, who had the newly-formed Josephine Flyer express.

Anna is a LSWR (London & South Western Railway) Class T14 4-6-0 tender locomotive

Anna is a LSWR (London & South Western Railway) Class T14 4-6-0 tender locomotive. Her type of engine was a class of ten 4-6-0 locomotives designed by Dugald Drummond for express passenger use on the London and South Western Railway (LNER) and constructed at Eastleigh in 1911–1912. Anna is painted in deep crimson red with yellow lining on the boiler, pistons, splashplate, wheel covers, as well as on the tender. She has the number 444 on her buffers, and on both sides of her cab. Anna has eyelashes, while she looks rather important.

The T14's were the most successful of Drummond's abysmal 4-6-0 designs for the LSWR, though displayed the old, costly liabilities of heavy coal/water consumption on a railway that didn't employ water troughs, which was combined with a high frequency of hot axle boxes. Both were complaints that had afflicted all previous 4-6-0s, and not endear to locomotive crews. In service, all were based at Nine Elms from new and were used exclusively on express duties to Bournemouth and Salisbury. However, the class struggled on these 'racing stretches.' This was true in the case of the tightly timed Salisbury workings. With intermediate stops at Surbiton and Woking, a D15 was the preferred power because they kept better time than a T14.