Chapter Forty-One: Girl Power 2

The evening on the day Evelyn the BR Standard 9F had arrived on the Josephine Railway, everyone seemed to get along with the huge BR Standard 9F locomotive, but Evelyn was still a bit shy. She gave small and quick words in response to the others, but the others understood this. They gave her space, though we're curious about her.

"Guys, I think it be best for us to give her some room." Braedey suggested to the others. "I mean, she hasn't had much contact with steam engines aside from those in the National Collection, so please understand."

"We respect that." Max answered back.

"We're sorry if we're trying to pry into you." Liliana apologised softly to Evelyn. "We're all just curious."

"I... understand. Sorry if I am..." Evelyn began.

"It's okay. We understand." Austin reassured back. "We have a Caledonian engine who's nervous and shy in a few ways." That got Evelyn's attention.

"Really?" Evelyn looked to the green shunter with curious eyes. "Where is she now?"

"She'll be back with two tank engines who work here as well tomorrow morning." Braedey answered to her.

As the other engines started to talk about their past lives and about who they've known over their years of service, Braedey was looking at the BR Standard 9F with concern in his eyes. He could see that Evelyn was a little anxious about being others. So, without anyone noticing, and under his own control, Braedey puffed out of the sheds to go and find Mr. Franklin's home.

Braedey eventually arrived at the house not far away from the mainline. When he gave a small whistle, Mr. Franklin was surprised to see the crimson locomotive outside. Braedey explained about Evelyn and about his plan, and the controller of the Josephine Railway now understood, and heads back into the house to go and make some arrangements. With that sorted, Braedey puffed back into the sheds, now seeing the others all fast asleep, and he too soon fell asleep.

~*~*~

The next morning, the engines were slowly waking up, just as they heard the familiar whistle of a Caledonian engine. The others, excluding Evelyn, all smiled when they heard that sound. They all looked to see Diana arriving nearby the yards.

"Welcome home, Diana

"Welcome home, Diana." Braedey greeted them warmly, while his crew got him fired up and ready to go. "Wait. Where are Jane and Kieron?"

"It's good to be home." Diana called. "And both Kieron and Jane had to stay over on Sodor to assist the engines with the heavy workload that popped up. They won't be back for a while." She now noticed the huge engine sitting in the sheds. "Whoa. Who's that?" She asked in much surprise.

"This is Evelyn, the final steam locomotive built by British Railways." Max replied and gave introductions. "She is a BR Standard 9F, outfitted with a 2-10-0 wheel arrangement."