Chapter Sixty-One: The Train from Bloemfontein

About a week after the storm and Queen Mary 2 events have transpired, things seem to have settled down all across Sodor. Hayden is now been much happier than ever, especially with Lilah's nameplate and pictures in his cab, in memory of his sister. He felt better about the whole thing, as well as having those like Braedey, Rebecca, even Thomas and Lady, to be by his side.

One early morning before the sun was starting to rise, Hayden and Braedey were both returning to Knapford after they had taken a heavy late-night goods train for Peter to the mainland. They stayed over at the Josephine Railway sheds for the evening, and they were making their way back home. As they were making their way towards the station, the two tender engines can see both Mr. Franklin and his wife along with Sir Topham Hatt outside of the latter's office, the former two who look to be dressed up for a trip into the African countryside.

"Sir Topham." Hayden called, he and Braedey pulling up to the platform, getting the three's attention. "What is going on?"

"Oh, Hayden. Braedey. Didn't hear you two arriving." Sir Topham greeted to the two engines.

"Mr. Franklin, why are you and Mrs. Robinson dressed up? Is there something going on?" Braedey questioned.

"Braedey. Caitlyn, Jane, and myself are going to Africa in search of a steam locomotive to rescue and restore." Mr. Franklin explained to his premier crimson engine. "This engine is a special locomotive, a South African Railways Class 15F 4-8-2 steam locomotive."

"Really?" Hayden asked in surprise. "That's a surprise."

"Of course, Hayden. Given that you, Peter, Henry, and Murdoch have handled the heavy goods, I thought you could use some extra help, especially when the goods are expected to get heavier." Sir Topham explained to the King Class engine. "It might get too heavy for you all to handle and you'll need some help."

"Of course, sir." Hayden acknowledged. "It be good to have some extra help every now and then."

"When will you be leaving, Mr. Franklin?" Braedey asked.

"First thing when the sun rises." Mr. Franklin answered to his premier engine. "Which is in about two hours. While we're gone, Josephine will be watching you and the railway for the time being."

"Oh, really? She's coming back from... where is it, Oxford?" Braedey asked curiously.

"Yes. She's been handling business classes so she'll know how to handle the railway just like her parents." Caitlyn reassured to Braedey. "So you and the others will be in safe hands."

"Okay. You all take care, then." Braedey smiled softly.

"Best you and Hayden go and get some rest. You deserve it after tonight's hard work." Sir Topham Hatt said to the two engines.

"Yes, sir. Thank you, sir." The two engines thanked him before they chuff away.

"You and your family take care, Franklin." Sir Topham said to the couple before they leave. "And be careful."

"We will." Mr. Franklin reassured back as he and his wife leave the station to catch a night bus to Sodor airport, then they'll take a plane to Heathrow, and they will board a large jet for Africa.

Hayden and Braedey, meanwhile, are travelling light-engine to the sheds, the others all fast asleep. As the two engines arrived, they quietly made their way back into their berths, just as Henry now wakes up to go and take the Flying Kipper fish train. The three share a brotherly smile before Henry departs for the docks to collect the fish train, Braedey now falling asleep.

"Heh. He seem to always sleeps first." Hayden mutters softly before he too eventually falls asleep.

~*~*~