Chapter Thirty-Four: The Warship on Wheels

After hearing about a diesel coming over to their railway to assist them, the Josephine Railway engines were all anxious and uncertain about what'll happen. They were unsure of what'll occur, whether this engine could be useful or not, or that the engine will just be a bully like Croghan was.

Braedey, meanwhile, he had a suspicion about who this diesel might be. He knew it's a BR Class 42 'Warship' hydraulic-diesel locomotive, but he remembered from his conversations with Thomas that the engines on Sodor had dealt with that type of diesel before, one in particular that had caused it's fair share of trouble on the island years ago, and it involved a small engine who worked on the island and has magical properties.

'If this diesel is in fact that very same one... then we'd better be ready for anything that comes our way.' Braedey thought to himself, letting off steam from his cylinder cocks. 'And if he does anything... I will give him what for and knock him off his engine block.'

With that on his mind, Braedey stormed off in a cloud of steam, ready to get on with today's work, but all the while prepped and prepared for whatever may happen soon.

~*~*~

A few days later, Gordon was stopped just down at Barrow-in-Furness. He had just taken a fast train from Knapford to Barrow, and he had taken the time to take on more water. He had enjoyed his long run and was now relaxing in peace.

But as Gordon did so, he and Silver Link the A4, plus Pip and Emma, all could hear the rumble and roar of an approaching diesel locomotive, one that sounded like it was coming in fast and not slowing down for the station. Then suddenly...

"GET OUT OF MY WAY!!!"

At once, something fast shot right through the station, kicking up a tonne of dust and dirt in the process at the steam engines and the passengers, and whatever did so raced off down the line, heading off down the tracks towards the Josephine Railway. The engines looked, and saw a large diesel, painted in tan with small olive stripes on the sides, racing away in a cloud of dust.

 The engines looked, and saw a large diesel, painted in tan with small olive stripes on the sides, racing away in a cloud of dust

"Oh, Diesel 10's back! Hoo-hoo!" Gordon shivered, his entire body shaking from when the large diesel raced by.

As the dust settled after the diesel raced by, Gordon and the others engines, plus the passengers on the platforms, were covered from their funnel to wheels, as well as their heads and heels, in grey and brown dust.

"What in the name of Gresley was that?" Silver Link demanded with a huff.

"Who is Diesel 10?" Pip now asked to Gordon. She had never heard of this 'Diesel 10' at all, so she was rather curious.

"A troublesome diesel who came to the island years ago. Ten out of ten, for his devious deeds and brutal strength." Gordon explained, looking to the others. "A blast from the past, who hates steam engines!"