Chapter Thirty: The Railway Inspectors

After the short eventful visit from Eli the red LNER A4, the engines of the Josephine Railway were now anxious and concerned about the Railway inspector visiting. This was a make-or-break moment for them.

One evening before the inspector arrived, Mr. Franklin and his family have gathered up all the engines in the sheds. They all had worked as hard as they can, and they got the yards as clean as ever, the coaches and trucks all in their proper position, and the stations were all cleaned up.

"Now, everyone. I am sure you are aware of the railway inspector." Mr. Franklin began to explain. "This was bound to happen eventually, but we will just have to stick with it and keep going."

"I agree." Jonson spoke up.

"Also, I've been having to deal with British Railways." Caitlyn added in. "For the past three months, they've been pestering us into merging with them, and modernising the railway."

"You would never do that, would you?" Jane

"No, of course not. I would never do that." Caitlyn shook her head.

"Don't you worry, all of you." Mr. Franklin reassured to them. "We will get through this, and whatever comes our way, we will work through it."

"Gave a good sleep, everyone." Josephine said to the engines, and they headed off to their car for home, the engines now going to sleep.

~*~*~

The next day, Mr. Franklin was down at the platform at Barrow-in-Furness, waiting for the inspector to arrive on Pip and Emma's train. Braedey was also sitting by the platform with two coaches coupled up behind him.

After only half an hour, the sound of an approaching high-speed diesel could be heard, Mr. Franklin looking to see Pip and Emma heading towards the station. He smiled in response, but internally, he was dreading of what might happen.

The blue Intercity 125 train pulled up at the platform, with many passengers disembarking to get on other connecting trains

The blue Intercity 125 train pulled up at the platform, with many passengers disembarking to get on other connecting trains. As he looked on, Mr. Franklin now saw a well-dressed gentleman step out of one of the coaches, and saw the owner of the Josephine Railway.

"You must be Mr. Franklin of the Josephine Railway." The gentleman said to the man.

"Of course. I want to say thank you for coming." Mr. Franklin said calmly to him.

"Of course, now if we could talk about the railway." The inspector said. "And just so you know, another inspector will be taking an examination of the engines."

"Of course. I have just the engine to take us along the railway." Mr. Franklin said, turning to Braedey.

The inspector looked at the GWR 4900 Class engine with curiosity, while also boarding the train with the other passengers and Mr. Franklin alongside him. Among the passengers that boarded the coaches were a four-person family known as the Silverbacks.